ringer switch fell off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by calvy, Jun 30, 2009.

1. calvy macrumors 65816

I have an genius bar appointment tomorrow afternoon to get my 3g iphone fixed. the ringer switch fell off somewhere. I can't find it. But I'm worried that because I've got a scratch or two on the plastic back that they are going to deny me any warranty coverage/exchange. Am I screwed because of this?

2. str8spd2001 macrumors regular

str8spd2001

It shouldn't unless you have water damage. I just had mined replaced due to case cracking and my back had 3 nice deep scratches. The guy at the genius bar didn't even mention anything about it.

3. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Before your ringer switch fell off, had it become easier to switch? Mine has very little resistance, so often just putting the phone in my pocket, or taking out, my fingers can flip it without me noticing it. It has some resistance, but again, easily flipped

I don't think they will make a fuss about scratches on the back. That is bound it happen. Now if a corner had a nasty scuff as if dropped, then maybe.

4. topherg macrumors regular

they should replace it, unless there are scratches around the switch... they could then say you "abused" it and thats what caused it to fall off... It happened to me once, silent switch fell off and scratches were around where the switch was. The genius accused me of ripping the switch off purposely:rolleyes:.... but still replaced my iphone.

5. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

If you are under warranty, I think you will be all set.
    I went into the genius bar yesterday for my iPhone 3G for a battery issue. The guy was extremely kind, and replaced my phone right away. Mind you, my old iPhone was in scratch heaven (from friend use... I don't abuse my Apple products).
    I had a ringer switch problem as well. It became loose, but remained intact. My replaced one has much firmer switches, unlike the old iPhone 3G I had when I first opened the box.

Good luck! :)

6. calvy thread starter macrumors 65816

as i've read in many other threads, it looks like this thing was secured in place with glue. I suspect overheating may have loosened the glue and allowed it to come off when I switched the ringer off with just the wrong amount of pressure. Of course, this is about a year into my ownership of the thing. So not as bad as some people.

I do have a scratch on one of the corners I think. I dropped the thing in the past. But it was way before this point. So hopefully i'll have no issues come this afternoon. I'll let you all know.

Also, I was outside in the yard working when this happened. I didn't notice anything different about the feel of the switch prior to it happening. But I don't really turn my phone on silent very often, and thus don't flip this switch very often.

7. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

I don't think you have too much to worry about. I'd just make a quick appointment with the genius bar just to see what happens. Give it a shot and update us how it turns out for you. ;)

8. mubo macrumors regular

Mine is very loose, if i shake it gently it rattles, I don't want to be in the situation of it falling off!!.
    This is a replacement which i've had for 2 weeks, plus the screen looks bent, if you hold it at an angle and look above the battery indicator you can see light emitting from under the black surround.

Would the genius replace for these reasons?

9. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

I'd take it in for the heck of it to see what happens. It doesn't hurt to try and ask.
    As for the light issue, I've always seen the light omitting like that. From my opinion I haven't found it to be an issue.

10. calvy thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I got mine replaced today. I went in with no ringer switch at all. Couldn't find it. The guy said "well all I can do is give you another one" to which I replied "that'll be just fine". It took about 5 minutes and I signed a paper, then headed home with my new iPhone. My old one had a deep scratch near the ringer switch, which I was afraid would make him deny me a replacement. But he didn't even look. All he did was check the water sensors, both headphone port and dock connector. He wouldn't give me another screen protector, but I am alright without it I guess.

Anyway, if you are worried about yours, take it in. It shouldn't be wiggling or loose in my opinion.