Ringing ear!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ghall, May 28, 2007.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Okay, I was just sitting down chatting with some friends over IM when all of a sudden my left ear just started ringing. It's calmed down some, but now I can't hear as well out of it. Could it be from listening to my iPod too loud. Though I don't turn it up more than half way up, which I'm pretty sure was the safety level.

Anyway, as I wrote this the hearing in my left ear is getting back to normal. That was weird.

2. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

If it happened out of the blue, and not in direct response to a loud event, it is more likely something to do with allergies or a partially plugged eustation (sp) tube. Unless you had just taken out your pod headphones, it isn't likely the cause. However, to be safe, keep your earplugs loose, not jammed in the ear canal. Some external noise intrusion is a small price to pay for not worrying about hearing damage.

3. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Ah yes, the part about the allergies does make sense, didn't even think of that. My allergies have been pretty bad this year. It's not so bad now, I just had a glass of water, and I'll try not to plug my ear.
    Thanks.

4. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

This happens to me sometimes, but it always eventually goes away. It happens for particular reason either. I could be sitting there, walking, swimming, anything. Just happens.

5. wimic macrumors regular

wimic

that has happened to me before. i find that if i yawn it goes away. one of those things i guess (??)

:rolleyes: :)

- Wendy

6. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

By chance, are you on any meication?

Some meds, especially opiates (painkillers) are well-known to cause tinnitus.

7. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

I have ringing in both of my ears constantly.

Always.

I have a 95% hearing loss, and for some reason I ahve this too.

8. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

That doesn't sound good at all.

9. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

I personally always a have a very low ringing noise in my ears :( . Although it is not at all noticeable or distracting really. Any normal noise or even low noise level makes it completely un-noticeable... just when its completely silent do I notice. I don't think its a good thing :(

Edit: On that note, we do however have mandatory annual hearing tests at my work, being that its a plywood mill. I never have scores below average, most are average, some even above average. (By scores I mean the different frequencies they test or whatever)

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Allergies do cause all sorts of stuff, swelling things that cause problems anywhere or everywhere.

---

Still I probably would have bet on the cat trying to hide the silly ringing mouse in your ear.

11. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

No, it doesn't. I've learn to deal with it; and I've dealt well. Well, that's what $5000 worth of hearing aides gets you.

Get it checked out - it could be a sign of something serious or something not serious at all. But, definitely get it checked out. Contact an ENT doctor. (ear nose throat)

12. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Oh, no what I had was like "RIIIIIIIIINGG!!!!!" <--Intended to be loud
    I'm 100% better now though. But I too have that sometimes, I only notice it when it's complety quiet though.

13. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

Occasionally I get a loud, high-pitched ringing in my ears but it usually goes away in about a minute or less. Yawning seems to help.