Ringing sound through earphones on 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shambles, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Shambles macrumors regular

When I plug my earphones into my MacBook Pro, a ringing noise can be heard through the earphones. The ringing only starts after some sound has been made and stops shortly after the sound stops. For example, if I change the volume on my Mac making the beep sound, and then leave the system, the sound goes away.

The weird thing is though, when I put my palms down on the MacBook, the ringing stops; like my body has completed the circuit on something.. I've actually just watched a entire movie on my Mac with my hand resting on it to stop the ringing sound.

A quick Google search let me know this is a very common problem among MacBook Pros, so if anyone has had any similar experiences or knows anyway to get around the ringing sound then that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Could it be reverb of the case itself? Maybe the speaker screws aren't tight, for instance.

3. Shambles thread starter macrumors regular

Um.. I can definitely move the cable around in the audio jack, but I don't think that's unusual.This seems like it affects all MBPs from what I read.

4. Shambles thread starter macrumors regular

I'm using Apple in-ear headphones by the way.

5. hystery macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Isn't that like "beep, beeeep beep bep"? I have MBP 2010 and mine also has this prob. Actually it seems it's common amung laptops. One way to avoid the annoying sound is to buy an audio interface. Not only you can avoid the noise, the sound will be better comparing to onboard output. Or other way, is to use USB connected speakers.

6. Shambles thread starter macrumors regular

It's more of a constant high pitched sound on mine, but thanks for the suggestions.

7. StandardMeth0d macrumors member

StandardMeth0d

I honestly just think that it's the audio card that the mbp uses. I've had the uMB and the new 2011 13" and they both have noise coming through my Shure earbuds. At first, I thought it was a grounding issue, but everything I'm using is grounded properly AND it happens when my MBP is unplugged, too.