Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ring, the Amazon-owned company known for its camera-equipped doorbells, today announced that its new Ring Alarm security system is now available for pre-order and will begin shipping out on July 3.

First announced in the fall of 2017, the Ring Alarm is marketed as a "do-it-yourself" home security system that does not require professional installation, nor are its users required to sign up for a long-term contract.

ringalarmsystem.jpg

For $199, the Ring Alarm system includes a Base Station, a Keypad, a Contact Sensor that can be situated on a window or a door, a Motion Detector, and a Range Extender.

It is designed to be paired with existing Ring Cameras (including doorbells, the Floodlight Cam and the Spotlight Cam) to create what Ring calls a "Ring of Security" for the home. Ring is charging $10 per month for the Ring Protect Plus Plan for the Ring Alarm, with 24/7 "professional monitoring," video recording, and backup LTE connectivity included at that price.

As the Ring Alarm is a "DIY" system, setup consists of connecting the Base Station and the Keypad to the home's Wi-Fi and installing one or more Contact Sensors to doors and windows. The Motion Sensor is designed to be placed in an area where you want to monitor for movement while away from home or sleeping, such as a front entryway.

Once set up, the Ring Alarm can be set to an "armed" mode, where it will monitor the home and send alerts if doors or windows are accessed or motion is detected. An included Base Station siren will sound when one of the sensors is triggered while the system is armed.

ringalarmsystem2-800x541.jpg

According to Ring, the Ring Alarm system is equipped with a battery and an LTE cellular backup option so that it continues to function in the event of a power or Wi-Fi outage. Ring Alarm, in addition to integrating with existing Ring products, will work with the First Alert smoke and carbon monoxide detector, which can set off the Base Station in the event of an emergency.

Ring says that in the future, it will release additional products that are designed to integrate with the Ring Alarm, including a $30 Smoke and CO Listener, a $30 Flood and Freeze Sensor, and a $30 Dome Siren which offers customizable alarm tones and volume levels.

Ring Alarm can be pre-ordered from Ring.com, Amazon.com, Best Buy, or Home Depot for $199 starting today. Orders will start shipping out on July 3, with the first orders arriving on the Fourth of July.

Article Link: Ring's New $199 'Ring Alarm' Security System Now Available for Pre-Order

tonipepperoni77

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
any word on if this will support automatic enabling/ disabling of alarms from a schedule? or do we have to go into the app and enable / disable every-time

K. Bayquoi

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2016
I have a number of ring products as well as Arlo products. Both products work well for me. I am disappointed in the Ring battery cameras as their batteries do not last very long. On average, I have to change the Ring battery cam with 2 batteries about once a month. The arlo with only one battery will last an average of 3/4 months. They both get about the same usage. Arlos do have geofencing which Ring does not. This I found very useful in arlo products. Ring wired product has a slightly better zone set up over the wired arlo Q. I wish both products could find a way to add this zone type setup to their wireless products. As mentioned by someone else above, I also wish both would be HomeKit compatible.

Reactions: jocamero

Dustonfoster

Suspended
Sep 30, 2017
There is no way, in 2018, that I would pay for monitoring. I mean...you get an alert when the alarm is triggered. I am perfectly capable of calling the police if need be.

What happens when you’re not home and your phone isn’t in your hand?
[doublepost=1528900439][/doublepost]I’ll probably pre order.. wishing for some HomeKit one day though.

Reactions: K. Bayquoi

pcorrado

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2008
Chicago, IL
There is no way, in 2018, that I would pay for monitoring. I mean...you get an alert when the alarm is triggered. I am perfectly capable of calling the police if need be.

Monitoring is optional. Do note, some insurance companies require monitoring for discounts, others give larger discounts for monitoring - in this case the discount could be more than the costs of the $10 per month monitoring (my discount is ~$15 month with a monitored alarm and $0 without).

And of course, if someone breaks in while I am home, sleeping, for example, ensuring my children and wife are safe would be my main concern before I would even even attempt to call the police. In that case, its nice to have someone else take care of it simultaneously.

Honestly a break-in while no one is home is not so much of a concern. It would suck but its just things at risk at that point and by the time the alarm company goes through protocol and dispatches the police, the theft is likely near compete (assuming there is an audible alarm given the thief warning to act quick and leave).

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
And still no HomeKit. And I doubt that Amazon will ever take their products down the HomeKit road. Too bad. This looks like a nice product.

Reactions: jocamero

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010

If you are using the $10/month ($100/year) unlimited camera cloud services the monitoring is included. The $10 plan also covers theft of the ring camera itself. It is actually a pretty good deal.

Reactions: N8Howell33

K. Bayquoi

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2016
Ring forces you into paying a monthly fee(after 30 days free) if you want to view and store video into their cloud. Without their plan, you can only view live video, which makes their products useless without buying their monthly plan. Arlo does have a FREE use of their cloud service for up to 7 days of storage. Which I find more than adequate without having to buy a monthly plan. If there is a video I want to keep past 7 days, I can save it to my computer. (With Arlo you can buy a plan if you need more than 7 days of storage but I don't have a need for that.) So for me, after buying Arlo products I do not need to pay extra for any monthly plan. With Ring, you are forced to, in order to review any event triggered, after the fact.
[doublepost=1528902149][/doublepost]A few more thoughts....I do have trouble with the Arlo products when talking through to someone, the audible level is VERY low(not usable). This has not been a problem with Ring. ( I therefore have the Ring products at doorways where I might want to have a conversation thru the camera to someone at the door. I use the Arlo's in areas where I just need surveillance like yards and blind spots). With both products there is a slight (but annoying) delay between what is actually happening and what you see. Also with both wired products, you can zoom in the camera to focus on a smaller area(to avoid some moving tree branches or something like that) but when setting the zones, the zones you set will still be as though the camera was not zoomed in. In other words, the zooming in of the camera and the zone settings, are not in sync, which has been an annoyance. I would rate both cameras of about the same quality. Zooming in (on a face, for example) can become quite grainy.

Last edited:

luvbug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Getting closer every day!
I feel so fortunate to live in a place where I don't need to lock the doors, let alone install an alarm system. My place is so small the whole idea of home automation is pointless, for me. For those that need it though, the new tech coming out does appear to give you a lot of bang for the buck, compared to legacy solutions.

EatinPonies

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2016
"According to Ring, the Ring Alarm system is equipped with a battery and an LTE cellular backup option so that it continues to function in the event of a power or Wi-Fi outage."

Is that cell backup option included in the $10/mo cost for monitoring? Honestly, if so, that is incredible.

b0nd18t

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
As soon as my current monitoring contract is over I’m buying this. FWIW I have 3 different cameras (ring, Arlo, and circle 2) and only the Ring connects every time and quickly without lag.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Sigh. And if you’re asleep? And if you’re at a movie? Or any other situation where your phone is on silent?

Reactions: mthomas184

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
How do these work in the winter? Can’t imagine batteries lasting long in a -30C week of Canadian winter!

Last edited:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
And still no HomeKit. And I doubt that Amazon will ever take their products down the HomeKit road. Too bad. This looks like a nice product.

I’m using SimpliSafe (latest version) and it’s been flawless. I really like the HomeKit integration via HomeBridge (can’t live without it). Nothing like saying, “Hey Siri, I’m home,” and my garage door opens, back door unlocks, entry way light turns on, alarm system disarms. So good.

THAT said, the Ring pricing here is revelatory. $10 a month or $100 a year for full interactive monitoring. That has SimpliSafe beaten at $300 for the year that I pay ($25 per month).

jeblis

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2012
If it’s anything like the ring doorbell, by the time it wakes up and connects to WiFi the thieves will be long gone.

Last edited:

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
Sigh. And if you’re asleep? And if you’re at a movie? Or any other situation where your phone is on silent?
Sigh. Notification on my Watch. It’s called vibrate on the phone, Taptic feedback on the Watch.
Currently, I have a Scout system, without monitoring. Plus, several Wyze cams. If I would get an alert when I’m not at home, I can check on things with the cameras. The cameras also have motion detection, with alerts. If need be, I’ll call the police.
If I am at home, sleeping, I will hear the alarm. Again, I would call the police.
Realistically, having signs in your yard, stickers on your doors and windows, is enough of a deterrent. I’ve saved hundreds of dollars over the years not paying for monitoring.
Also, I stated my opinion. If you don’t agree...good for you. I’m still right. It’s my money. Be Best! :cool:

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
If you are using the $10/month ($100/year) unlimited camera cloud services the monitoring is included. The $10 plan also covers theft of the ring camera itself. It is actually a pretty good deal.

I signed up for the yearly 100 plan. I have 5 ring devices so they are all covered if they fail. Plus cloud service and 10% all purchases at ring.com

A great deal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.