Ringtone in iTunes!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by guklein, Mar 27, 2009.

1. guklein macrumors 6502a

If I buy a music in iTunes and want to create a ringtone from it in iTunes...

Do I have to buy the ringtone? How can I create/save it?

Thank you!

2. doug.hall macrumors regular

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You can't make a ringtone from iTunes purchased music in Garageband though, which is what the OP is trying to get at. This article has some basic steps (though without screenshots) to create a ringtone in iTunes from a purchased song. Note however that when you make a ringtone in iTunes, a) it can only be used with an iPhone and b) that you technically buy the song again so its another 99 cents.

P.S. Found another article here that kinda discusses all the ins and outs of ringtones from iTunes.

P.P.S. More info (with screenshots) on iTunes ringtone creation: here

4. ccriste macrumors newbie

How to create ringtones in iTunes

This has been covered many times before in other threads and forums. Here's how I create my ringtones from iTunes.

HOW TO CREATE RINGTONES WITH iTUNES

1. Select song
    2. Press Command-I, or Control-click on song>select Get Info
    3. Indicate the Start and Stop times (40 seconds only) on the Get Info window
    4. Click OK
    5. Control click song again and select "convert selection to AAC"
    6. Go to main Music Library
    7. Search song by typing name of song
    8. The full song and the 40 second segment of the song will show up
    9. Drag the 40 sec song to the desktop
    10. Change the file extension to .m4r (from .m4a)
    11. Delete the 40 second song that's in iTunes
    12. Drag the ringtone file that's on the desktop to the Ringtone folder
    13. Delete the ringtone file that's on the desktop
    14. Check the Ringtone folder to see if the ringtone you just created is there
    15. Sync your iPhone with your computer
    16. The new ringtone will transfer to your iPhone.

*Go back to the original and complete song and put the correct full time segment on it or uncheck the boxes. Otherwise, it will just play the 40 seconds of the song.

It looks like a lot of steps but you can do it very quickly and easily once you get the idea.

5. doug.hall macrumors regular

You can make ringtones in Garageband from songs you purchase in iTunes. I've just done it with a song and from a music video. Also making it in Garageband means 1) you can use it on any phone (I use mine on a sony too) and 2) you don't have to pay for it again like you do if you make it in iTunes.

6. ccriste macrumors newbie

You don't have to pay for it again

When you purchase a ringtone from iTunes of a song that you already have, that's when you're paying for it again. But if you follow the steps that I outlined above, you're not paying for the ringtone that you've just made.