Ringtone: iToner vs iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xtoo, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Xtoo macrumors member

So what is the main difference between these two?

With iToner you can select any song in your playlist, but the ringtone starts at the very beginning. With iTunes you can select a portion of the song and use as a ringtone.

Could we do the extracting of a song with FCP or similar and uploading it with iToner?

Which method do you guys think is best for the $$$ over time?

2. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

Well, currently iToner won't work with the new version of iTunes. As soon as you sync your phone (even with "sync ringtones" disabled) you lose any of the ringtones you installed using iToner. You have zero choice in the matter. I'm hoping iToner will fix this quickly.

It's a much more cost-effective to go with iToner as long as you plan on making more than 10-15 ringtones of your own. You don't HAVE to start your ringtones at the beginning of the song with iToner. Just use another app to edit down your MP3 files (i.e. MP3 Trimmer or possibly Garage Band). Then just use iToner to transfer them.

I really just wish you could make your own ringtones in iTunes using your own MP3 files and not be bound to ONLY converting songs purchased through the iTunes store. Personally I always convert my purchased songs to MP3 anyway so I can move them anywhere without having to be stuck to only the 4-5 device maximum if you purchase the DRM'd songs.

3. nevesis macrumors 6502

Its a no brainer dude.

Why would anyone want to purchase a song for 99 cents and then pay ANOTHER 99 cents just to make it into a ringtone?

With iToner I can take ANY song or audio file and use it as a ringtone. You don't have to have any editing skills or any fancy programs, use quicktime at the least to pick the section you want, export it as AIFF or WAV and then convert it to mp3 using iTunes, drag and drop into iToner and you have the ringtone of your choice without paying 99 cents everytime.

Apple will lose the ringtone war. Guaranteed.

4. nevesis macrumors 6502

Thats going to be fixed in a matter of hours.

5. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Considering I'd have to buy a mac to use it...itunes is considerably cheaper for me =D

6. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

I hope you're right. Otherwise a lot of people who paid for iToner are going to be bummed. I used the trial version, but will probably give them some cash if they can get it working again.

7. nevesis macrumors 6502

How sad it is you don't own a mac though. Sorry. :p:apple:

8. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I don't know about sad. I mean if I really wanted to I could buy one right now, but it wouldn't be particularly responsible.

9. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

You can also use another program to edit the tone to any position ala iTunes 7.4 before uploading it with iToner. its just not as elegant at least not yet. So you can start the tone at any point, and make it "any" length you desire. I did this when it was working properly using Audacity.

Anyways not sure which I will end up "using" more, but I do like Ambrosia, still use Escape Velocity (Nova). The original EV was the first App that I witnessed from them and have liked them since.

Out...

10. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

iTunes 7.4 has also "broken" iPhoneRingToneMaker for Windows, according to an email from the company (I used it before I went all-Mac and bought iToner).

11. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Not surprising as I think they both use the same method, give or take, to add tones.

12. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

I can tell you why. As an iToner user, and someone that does video editing at work, I've made several ringtones from parts of songs, Garageband, etc. But when I started using iToner on my phone, I was just dragging files from iTunes, and was disappointed in finding the right song that hit the right notes that was loud on the iPhone speaker, but didn't distort from too much bass/beats. So off into the editing software I go.. this step, that step... damn, I just spent 10 minutes when I could have spent 4 minutes with iTunes. That's 6 minutes I saved for a buck. That works out to $10/hr that you can save in efficiency. I make more than $10/hr. It's worth it to me. Might not be worth it for everyone, but if you make more than $10/hr, it's at least worth considering.

Don't get me all wrong though. I'm a little pissed I can't put the tracks I made in Garageband legally on my iPhone. What gives there?

13. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

i wish they made a section in iTunes for just regular ringers. Can't really have "Born to Run" playing when I get a ring in the office. I know its boring but some place I need to be a little more practical OR ELSE!

14. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

Type "ringtone" into the iTMS search box... Then sort by time.

Funny thing is, there are alerts just for text messages, but we can't assign them on the iPhone.... yet. (fingers crossed)

15. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

ooooooooooooo, that is cool. Thanks for that boss

16. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    This forum is too big. Has anyone just figured out how to add ringtones using the new iTunes yet? I just did, and I had to laugh out loud. Sorry, iToner. This is terribly... terribly simple. Better luck on the next product.

Ok, posted a quick tip on how to do it:
    new iTunes - How to Add Ringtones for FREE
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=351495

~ CB

17. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

Nice work. I'll definitely be giving this a shot once I get home from work. Simple and free = :D

18. JMax1 macrumors 6502

JMax1

OOohh! GREAT idea! MAKE your own ringtones in garageband! I think that's brilliant! Now you can with the little loophole in changing the .AAC file extension!

19. JMax1 macrumors 6502

JMax1

20. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Just saw this on TUAW.

I still intend to keep using iToner once they fix this, but this is a nice workaround.

21. Amblinman macrumors regular

Have they even added the ringtone functionality to iTunes yet? I tried to play with it yesterday but didn't see anything.

22. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

I would like to personally thank Cleverboy for being... well... clever.

Thanks. So simple, it's almost not a hack, yet it is. Big Kudos~!

23. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

iToner not only works with iTunes 7.4.1 but it works amazingly fast and clean setup.

The best part is, who cares if it wont chop the songs for you, we all realize we can do that within iTunes or Garagband right?

24. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

My money is on the iToner. I just crop the songs in garage band and make it into 30 seconds clip. I will NOT pay another $.99 for the song I already own.

25. PieMac macrumors 6502a

Sorry if this is a rudimentary question, but how do you crop a song in garage band? I assumed that it would be very similar to the method used in the iTunes ringtone creating software, but it seems a bit more complex (I've never played around with garage band before).