Ringtone/iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Harlowgold1, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Harlowgold1 macrumors member

Hi friends! :D
    I went to purchase the Galaxy Nexus last week and bought the iPhone instead. What an incredible device and they are not comparable in quality! :apple: Anyhow, I was wanting to create my own ringtone in iTunes. I know I must switch the coding to AAC or ACC...I do not see that option in my iTunes menu...Did they disable this?!?!

Thanks and Merry Christmas All! - Jenny - IPHONE LOVER!!! :):):):)

2. lilkangster macrumors member

1 Open iTunes.

2 Find the song that you want to make into a ringtone.

3 Listen to the song and find the part of it you want to use. The chorus may be a good place to start.

4 Write down the start and stop times of the clip.

5 Right-click the song and select "Get Info."

6 Click the "Options" tab.

7 Type in the start time of your ringtone in the text box next to "Start Time" in the minutes:seconds (i.e., 2:01) format.

8 Type in the end time of your ringtone in the text box next to "Stop Time." Make sure the ringtone is no more than 40 seconds long.

9 Click "OK."

10 Right-click your song again and select "Convert Selection to AAC." Wait for iTunes to convert your song. It will create a duplicate version.

11 Right-click the ringtone and select "Delete."

12 Click on the "Keep Files" button.

13 Find the file. It's usually in your User folder under "Music > iTunes > iTunes Music" and under the band's name. It will have an extension of m4a.

14 Replace the m4a extension of your ringtone with m4r. You can either double-click slowly to rename your file, or right-click and select "Get Info" on a Mac or "Rename" on a Windows PC.

15 Click "Use .m4r" or the PC equivalent when the system warns you that the change may affect the use of your file.

16 Double-click the ringtone file or drag into ITunes Library.

17 Connect your iPhone and sync your ringtones.

3. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

4. doublecutter macrumors newbie

5. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Is there no program that takes any sound file, converts it to aac then renames the extension to .m4r for a PC?

I know there are apps on the iPhone that will take your song and let you select the 30 second section then it emails it to you as a .m4r. It's called Rmaker. Works nicely.

6. lissa5168 macrumors newbie

I use iRinger (www.iringer.net) on the PC. It drops the new tone into the output folder of your choice and imports directly to iTunes. I think I saw where it allows editing too, but I haven't had to do that yet ... I just converted some of the ringtones/text tones I had made for my old Fascinate so far.

7. AL2TEACH macrumors regular

The same surprise happened to me. Open prefs and under the general tab, change your import settings to ACC, then make your ring tone.

for some reason or overlook, the option you see is the one selected in the import settings. Just don't forget to change the setting back to your import preference when done.

Attached Files: