Ringtone Sales

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kornyboy, Jun 13, 2008.

1. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Hello All,

As more of a curious item, I was wondering how Apple has been doing on their ringtone sales. I couldn't imagine that they have done very well since the general consensus that I get is that the whole idea is a rip off. I tend to agree plus the fact that you cannot create a ringtone from a song that you purchased the old fashion way, on a CD.

Does anyone have any insight on sales numbers for ringtone?

Also, how does everyone feel about them here. Personally, I prefer to just make my ringtones in GarageBand and change the file extension.

What do you think?

2. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Ringtones have always been a rip off long before the iPhone arrived on the scene. Doubt that Apple have sold many.

But then it is just so easy to make your own anyway. No need to change the extension in GarageBand - it lets you save as a ringtone. Share->Send Ringtone to iTunes.

3. kornyboy thread starter macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I did not realize that option was there in GarageBand. That makes life even easier.

Thanks.

4. iStefmac macrumors regular

And you would think it would make ringtone sales almost nil, at least for Mac owners.

I absolutely cannot believe they intended to make money selling ringtones. Their method for doing it is pretty admirable, but they made a big deal out of something so pointless, and completely profitless.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I think everyone around here is savy enough to make their own ringtones, so I doubt we'll hear much about it even after asking directly. It's just not something that's on our radar.

As for the outside world, the iPhone ringtones are a better deal than most other carrier's ringtones, so I think that's why you haven't heard much.

Yeah, the prices suck, but they suck LESS than everyone elses, so who's going to complain?

6. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

well, since they are trying to market the new 3G iphone to the public more so with the "lower prices" then they are getting away from the tech savy, apple fans and trying to integrate the phone into everyone's pockets, backpacks, ect.. SOOO that means more people between the ages of 16 and 25 will be carrying the iphone, and MOJORITY of these people are JUST going to want this phone because its cool, and they can get on myspace with it.. those are the SAME people that ringtones are marketed to. The people who feel the only use for a computer is to check myspace/facebook and to send IMs. These are the same people that probably never use email.

So i dont think the ringtones are a rip exactly. If the people are lazy enough to not want to try to make their own, or are the kind of people who NEED the newest Justin Timberlake song to play in their pocket, then they deserve to pay .99 for a piece of music that they already own.

i think all ringtones are a rip off, AND annoying.. I like my stock ringtones.

7. iStefmac macrumors regular

Yup. Its for those who are not tech savy enough to make it in garage band, and too lazy to spend 5 minutes reading a how-to, so they would actually spend 2 dollars to have a snipet of some song as a ringtone...one they'll hate after two days, guaranteed.