ringtone through garageband

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mattsweep, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Mattsweep macrumors newbie

I'm trying to make a ringtone through garageband but there is no option in the share folder for sending a ringtone to itunes, just an option to send song.

I'm using garageband 3.0.4, do I need a later version?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no, just save song to like the desktop then change the .m4a extension to .m4r

then add that file to itunes

3. enaught macrumors newbie

itoner

Ambrosia software advertises a program called "itoner" that can convert any file into a ringtone for the iphone. I was under the impression that you couldn't make a ringtone out of a file that you didn't BUY from the itunes store. I'd be curious to see how the Ambrosia program works. I'm hoping to get an iphone in a couple of months.

4. Mattsweep thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks but any idea why it won't let me drag it from desktop to itunes?

5. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

you can make a ringtone out of any music file. You just have to clip it down to 30 seconds or less, convert it to .m4a (AAC) in iTunes, change the file extension to .m4r (in Finder/Explorer) and import it back into iTunes.

www.audiko.net is a really easy way to do it.

6. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

garageband has a send to ringtone to itunes option. (share>Send Ringtone to iTunes)
    but you do need Garage Band 4

so in your case, just use http://audiko.net/, as CrzyCanuck72 said. a friend told me about it and it works great!

7. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

Personally I just use Audacity to clip sections of songs and then just do the usual (convert the clipped mp3 to ACC in iTunes then convert that file to .m4r)