Ringtone/vibrate button broken

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Pastaman, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Pastaman macrumors newbie

I bought my 8Gb iPhone 3G in March and have kept it in a leather case. Recently the button that toggles between normal ringtone and vibrate mode fell off as I was switching from one to the other. I use this a lot (silent mode for meetings etc) and now the insurer has refused my claim.

Is this a common problem? If so, I suppose I should claim under the guarantee rather than insurance cover (via Darty in Carcassonne, France) because the insurer perhaps regards it as a manufacturing fault rather than their responsibility.

Meanwhile, it's useable of course - or it was until it was knocked into 12inches of clean stream water and now I'm waiting to see if it'll work at all after drying it out.

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I was all ready to tell you to take it right in to the Apple Store for an exchange, until I got to the last sentence. Even if it dries out fine, Apple will probably take one look at your moisture indicator and tell you your warranty is void. They should offer you a refurbished phone at a discount, though. You may end up having to make the claim under your insurance after all.

3. Pastaman thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi - thanks for your reply. I haven't tried turning it on yet... Anyway, I suspect the insurer will think I chucked it in the river deliberately when I got his letter!

I'll try the shop and see what they say.

4. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Does your insurance cover liquid damage? Apple certainly won't, but like thelatinist said, they should give you a discount on a refurb iPhone.

5. Pixellated macrumors 65816

You can pay $199 now to get a refurb from Apple if you give them your water damaged device.

6. Pastaman thread starter macrumors newbie

Happy ending!

After months of to-ing and fro-ing between Darty, their insurers and Orange, I finally spoke to Apple in Paris just before Christmas. They admitted it was a manufacturing fault (the broken switch that is) and they sent a courier for the phone the next day and returned a brand new one between Christmas and New Year. Result.

The moral of the story is that France is hopeless when it comes to after sales service - everyone passes the buck. And credit to Apple (Holland) for dealing with things so efficiently. Apple have had bad press about the iPhone and their levels of service but my experience with them was excellent.

Maybe I'll buy the new tablet thing...