Ringtone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by w00t951, Aug 24, 2010.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I suddenly feel the desperate need to get a ringtone for my iPhone 4. My Mac is down (won't boot...) and I don't want to sync with Windows, so I need to get the ringtone on my device OTA. I want to make a song (Team Fortress 2) into a ringtone. How do I do that directly on my phone?

2. chaosdude78 macrumors newbie

Without a computer, the only way to add new ringtones to an iPhone is to purchase them via iTunes. In my opinion, buying ringtones from iTunes is crazy though, considering they are $1.29 and you could buy the full song for that price and make the song into a ringtone yourself.

3. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

from your iphone all you can do is purchase one from itunes.

4. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

From iTunes, can you buy any song -> ringtone? Also, can you send yourself a ringtone via email and add it to your phone? I don't think so, but just to be sure.

5. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

not any song but quit a few. there is a ringtone section in itunes on your iphone.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I very much doubt it. iTunes is your only option.

7. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

Grrrr... Thanks anyway, and thanks to everyone for the speedy responses.

8. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I make mine with Garage Band 09, it is really easy and I get to use a 40 Second clip from a song, so I decide where the clip comes from and what part of the song to use.

Simple and effective at making them, plus they are usually 40K to 3/4 of a MB in size which is better then 1-4 MB which is what a song takes up.

9. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

If your iPhone is Jailbroken, you can go into Cydia and search for it. You might get lucky.

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

depends

If you are using a non-jailbroken iphone there are no other ways besides buying it in Itunes if you want to download it directly on the phone.

But, if you are in your computer you could go to http://audiko.net and download the ringtone you want (already in iphone ringtone format) and just throw it into itunes and sync with the phone; they have almost everything for any taste! For you for example they have all of these for TF2: http://audiko.net/ringtone/Team+Fortress+2/

Also if you own or buy a song you can cut the part you want directly in itunes and then you convert it to iphone ringtone format (M4R).

If you are JB is way easier:
    1)(for me the best) UnlimTones is an app in cydia that someone created to download ringtones and sms from http://audiko.net directly into your iphone and you can then change them easily with no fuzz (with no editing by you of the original sms sounds)
    2)Or search for the ringtone in cydia directly

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

People aren't reading the OP here.

They state quite clearly that they can't sync with iTunes.

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Is not that the OP can't sync with iTunes, is that he doesn't want to sync in another computer (one w/ win)... The OP hasn't told us if he is jb or not and for example in my answer I explain both ways w/ and w/out a computer to have ringtones depending if they are jb or not... If JB use cydia search or unlimtones app (found in cydia), if not jailbroken the only way is buying it in itunes until the OP gets the mac fix or syncs w/ the dark side...

The problem with the app is that after you make your ringtone, then you have to sync to a computer and then pass it through itunes to the ringtones and the OP has the mac down and doesn't want to sync to another computer.