Ringtone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gw0gvq, Feb 21, 2016.

1. gw0gvq Contributor

gw0gvq

Can I share a ringtone with another IOS user and if so how please

2. chscag macrumors 68000

If it's a free ringtone, you can attach it to an email, put it on a flash drive, drop box, etc. (Ringtones for the iPhone need to be in m4r format.)

3. gw0gvq thread starter Contributor

gw0gvq

its not a free one I paid for it, Only I was thinking if you can't; it seems that  ask you to buy their iTunes music etc, but really its not yours to do what you like in the long run ;-)

4. chscag macrumors 68000

Well, that subject (ownership of software) has been debated many times for many years. But, If you gave away a ringtone that you paid for would be an act of piracy on your part. (Here in the US and UK)

5. gw0gvq thread starter Contributor

gw0gvq

Well how does that work? Because in the UK you can lend A CD or whatever the musics on to someone, as long as it's for their use only. If I own a CD I can sell it as a second hand item to a store.

6. chscag macrumors 68000

I can't relate to the laws in the UK, however, I do know your copyright laws are very similar to ours here in the US. I guess you would need to consult with someone who would know.

7. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

The process of re-selling any media containing copyrighted material includes a provision the the seller deletes/destroys any copy of the copyrighted material that they are selling, at least in the US (and I'd suspect that the UK licensing restrictions also apply). Re-selling a CD to someone does not allow for you both to keep/use/view the material, as only one license has been sold.

8. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

you dont need to pay for ringtones and buy them from itunes. it is very easy to do them by yourself from any sound file...