Ringtone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rickytowner, May 7, 2009.

1. rickytowner macrumors member

rickytowner

Just a random question, So what do people have as there ring tones and why? :eek:

2. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Other people can better answer how. As for Why, I'll take that one.

To tell who's calling without looking at the phone. Psychologists call it an audio cue.

It can also make you either love or hate a song after some time.

3. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

I had someone ask us for a "silent" ringtone!

At first, I didn't get it, but it makes sense. You can assign it to a number of people (your "ex", your boss, someone who always calls at the wrong time, or if you work in a sensitive environment, you don't have to remember to set the mute switch, which also mutes many apps, which may not be desirable).

So, we added it!

4. rickytowner thread starter macrumors member

rickytowner

when i say why, i mean why did your chose to have that as your ring tone :p

5. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Are you sure they weren't talking about this?

6. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

yep, I'm sure. Though we've been asked for that too, but I don't want to be responsible for damaging someone's speaker, which I've heard rumors of. In this person's case, she kept getting phone calls from some guy who misdialed her. So she wanted to set him to silent.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

OP, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you're asking what do you have as your current ringtone, and why do you have that song/sound?

8. Acronym macrumors 68000

Like people have already said it's a audio cue like call display, not only that but you can find funny rintones that match your contacts

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

My iPhone tends to "lose" the ringtone assignments and turn them back to the default ring.

I got tired of re-setting all 30 of them every few weeks, so I don't use custom ringtones anymore.

Too bad, I really liked them.

10. britboyj macrumors 6502a

Mine does that occasionally, for we figured out it was because it was syncing with MobileMe and because MobileMe has no ringtone information, it just assumes there's no ringtone info every time it syncs.

It got better with 2.2 but has recently started happening again occasionally.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I just use the old phone ringtone that comes with the iPhone. I work in an office environment and leave my ringer on but need something normal and work appropriate.

12. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

Some of my customers had similar issues, where they were sure they had the ringtones assigned to the contact, but when they called, the default ringer would play. We walked them through it. The problem was how AT&T (or their provider) would transmit caller ID info. For example, they might include a (1) before the area code, but that might not be in their contacts.

What worked was to delete the contact, have them call, and create a new contact using that info.

13. mikey2004 macrumors regular

14. rickytowner thread starter macrumors member

rickytowner

that's exactly what i mean :D

15. diemos macrumors 6502

I actually still have the same original ringtone. I'm to lazy to change it, not to mention i'm used to mine.