Ringtones disappearing from ITMS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marshalljones, Sep 16, 2007.

1. marshalljones macrumors newbie

When ringtones first became available I checked my music library of 11,500 songs and found that only 15 were available as ringtones through the ITMS. Because of the novelty of it I decided to turn one of my favorite tracks into a ringtone through the "accepted" method. I chose Wilco's song Panthers. I paid my $1 and selected the 20 seconds I wanted. It worked great and still works. However, today I went on to see what other songs in my library were available as ringtones (hoping there were more). I was surprised to find that now I only had 5 songs in my library available as ringtones.

Is iTunes reducing the selection of available ringtones? If so, why?

Has anyone else noticed this?

2. elcerrito494 macrumors member

3. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

4. 4ndr3w macrumors regular

5. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

Could there be a legal problem no one has mentioned yet?

6. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

it could be that a server died, (and its backup)

I went from 0 to 0! :p

7. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I was looking at my ringtone options yesterday and for no (apparent) reason the bell disappeared from all of my songs. Clicking on Store:Create Ringtone... still works for many of my songs though.
    -Chasen

8. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

I just checked mine and it went from ~30 to 0 also. :(

Update:
    So I made one ringtone the first day they were out, and now that the bells have disappeared, I went to the iTunes store and located this same album, and saw the bells WERE there in the store section! So they're just missing from my library. Well I went back to my library, right clicked a song from this album and chose create ringtone, and now ALL of the bells are back to showing up in my library in the ringtone column. Seems they somehow lost their ringtone status until I reminded them :p

I suggest you guys let Apple know!
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

9. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

No tones

Yes I had the same issue, it went from a bunch of little bells to zero. Something is wrong on their end. Interestingly I did click on one of the songs that I knew had a tone available for it yesterday, made a ring tone successfully and purchased it.

Until they fix the "view" mode the only way we'll be able to purchase is to check each song to see if there is a ringtone.

10. njpodder macrumors regular

I had the same problem the other day. I went into my library, and for fun, clicked on one of the 12 songs that could be turned into a ringtone. Put my password in, and then it said "You must accept terms of use to create ringtones." I was in a rush, and didn't feel like the extra clicks, so I just figured I would do it later, and clicked cancel. The bell dissapeared from all of those songs and has not come back yet. To test it out, I bought a new song that is ringtone capable. That bell has remained, and I went and accepted their terms, bt did not finish making the ringtone, and it still won't bring back the bell icon for my other songs. I have not tried the right clicking to bring up options > create ringtone yet, but I imagine if that works then it is just a bug in the iTunes library view. The ringtone thing is new, but I imagine soo nthey will make it more user-friendly (it's not that bad now, but it does seem a bit confusing at first).