Ringtones in "ringtones" section but not on Phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ringtonecrazy, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Ringtonecrazy macrumors newbie

I have converted everything that needs to be converted, and the songs i have chose are in my "Ringtones" section on my iPhone, but when i sync the songs they still do not come up in my phone..? any ideas on what to do

2. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Take a look in the Ringtones tab when you sync your iPhone and make sure you have chosen to sync the ringtones across.

[​IMG]

3. Ringtonecrazy thread starter macrumors newbie

Im so close!

DEVICES
    xxxx iPhone
    Music
    Movies
    TV Shows
    Ringtones Song
    Song

It says that they are on there, and are syncd but when i check the phone after i just have all the original iPhone songs ones i dont want.. from what i understand when i put the songs on the iPhone, it should say CUSTOM RINGTONES with your ringtones under that section, then the standard ringtones under that in a different section.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

How about posting a screen shot of your iTunes with the ringtones tab open?

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I am having the same problem.

It has worked for almost a year. I redid my music and had it sync it to my phone with the "convert higher bit rate songs to 128kbps aac" option checked. Now the ringtones that have worked for months no longer appear on the phone.

Do you have this option checked?

If not do you have a matching AAC version of the song in your itunes? As after some googling this can cause a problem.

6. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

As the poster above said this is to do with the "convert to 128kbps" option being selected. The ringtones you have made must have been from songs with a higher bit rate than 128kbps.

You need to convert the original track down to 128kbps (or less) and then remake the ringtones. iTunes will then successfully sync them back to your iPhone.

Hope this helps.

7. Cartoonkid macrumors 6502

Cartoonkid

Thanks for this info! I just stumbled on this problem last night and haven't had the time to research it.

Thankfully, it's an easy workaround.

8. autumnsong macrumors member

autumnsong

how do you convert them?

I'm having the same problem. This may be a dumb question, but how do you convert the original in itunes to 128kbps? I tried importing one into garage band and back into itunes. I put the m4r into my ringtones folder. When I double clicked to play it, it jumped back out of the folder and played in my music folder. It refused to go into ringtones! When I click on get info, it says it's a ringtone. Please help, this is driving me crazy! :confused:

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

See the link:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1347

10. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

So this worked for me as well.

A couple comments though.

You can still keep a higher bit rate version in your itunes. Just make sure the ringtone itself is 128kbps.

If you currently have synced the non working ring tones to your phone you will need to not only delete the old ringtone but sync your phone before adding the new one.

The other option would be deselect sync ringtones, sync the phone reselect it and sync again. Otherwise the phone will not pick up on the changed ringtone and it fails to work.

11. autumnsong macrumors member

autumnsong

still not working

I converted the song to 128, and retried but it still won't go into my ringtones folder. Any ideas?

12. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

So yours isn't even going into the folder?

If so are you renaming the file .m4r from .m4a?

13. autumnsong macrumors member

autumnsong

Yes, I'm renaming them. I've never had any problem making ringtones until the upgrade in iTunes. I'd just go back to the full bit rate version for my phone, but it was already full and I was having to delete things, so the extra space is very helpful, at least until the new phones come out :D I still have one custom ringtone that syncs and works. This is really frustrating me.

14. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

So they aren't even going into the ringtones folder on itunes?

15. autumnsong macrumors member

autumnsong

Nope. I move the m4r file into my ringtones folder in the finder. I click to play it, but instead of playing from the ringtones folder in itunes, it goes back into the main music folder. It removes itself from the ringtones folder completely.

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No. Don't drag it in finder. Drag it into iTunes into ringtones.

Also, make sure the m4r file is not in the ringtones folder in finder before doing what I said.

17. autumnsong macrumors member

autumnsong

Thank you! The way I did it always worked in the past. I can stop banging my head into the wall now :p

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Supposedly it also works if you double click on the m4r if it's not in the ringtones folder.

19. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Just to follow up. The ringtone AAC conversion bug is fixed in the new itunes update.

20. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I just wanted to say that I love y'all for helping me fix this. I was going crazy.