Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DonJoeY, Feb 21, 2008.
i still can't make ringtones on itunes...arrrgghhh...please help
use garage band. if you have it.
You can make any ringtone you want.
You have to purchase the song first and before you do that, make sure that it has a bell shaped figure under the column for ringtones.
Once the song is in your library, double click on the bell shaped figure and it'll bring the song up on the bottom of your screen. Move the box over the 15 second part you would like to have as your ringtone, make sure you preview it, and then once you have it, click buy.
Also, if you are on a Mac and don't have or don't want to use Garageband, you can use iToner. It is $15 but you can download it and get a free month long trial to see if you like it. You can find it here... http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/itoner/
or you can learn to search the forums and find one of 600 threads about creating ringtones with just about everything for both platforms.
You don't have to purchase the song...
online or through iTunes; and it doesn't have to have the "bell shaped figure" either (you create the ringtone, and that's what creates the "bell shaped figure" via GB). You can use any song from a CD you have or have access to and transfer that song/s to Garage Band, then transfer that song to your iTunes Library as a ringtone. Ensuring that it is 30 seconds or less, and adjust the volume as needed.
True that, works a charm
or just use nakko.com
Free, converts your mp3's to ringtones, share them and download other peoples custom ringtones! Tested yesterday and works perfect. It sync's to your itunes as a podcast!
Okay... because I'm bored...
1) Pick your song you want to turn into a ringtone in iTunes.
2) Right click>Get Info or File>Get Info or Apple>I.
3) Go to Options when the Get Info window opens.
4) Click the check boxes to initiate Start and Stop time, manually entering the start and finish time of the song you want as a ringtone.
5) Now, hit Okay.
6) Next, go to Advanced>Convert Selection to AAC, this will create a copy of the song, but just the portion you want as a ringtone.
7) The copy will be right under the original in iTunes, you will see the difference in times with the selection you chose should be at a ringtone length, like :30 seconds or so. Right-click on the selection and choose Show in Finder, or File>Show in Finder, it should be an m4a file.
8) Simply click on the file name to edit it and change it to an m4r, this will change it into a ringtone to be recognized by iTunes.
9) Go back to iTunes, find the short selection of the song that you converted to a ringtone and drag it out of iTunes to your desktop.
10) It will make a copy of it and it should now be in your iTunes and desktop. Then, back in iTunes, delete the selection you just moved to the desktop.
11) Double-click on the file you dragged to your desktop and it should open up and play in the "Ringtones" section of your iTunes.
This works beautifully. One question though, what do you do with the m4r file on the desktop? Can you now move it to the trash once it plays in iTunes? I don't want to clutter my desktop with ringtones.
Yeah, you can delete the desktop icon, once they're in the ringtones section in iTunes, it's done... glad it worked for you, hope the OP saw it instead of racking his brain...
Yeah, its ridiculously easy. No 3rd party apps, nothing. Wonder why Apple left this loop hole open.
Shhh, just be glad they did and hoard all the ringtones you can before the next update cripples us again.
Hi there, i followed your instructions, but when i delete the song from the itunes and play it from the desktop, its still playin from the library not from the ringtones! can you please help?
As long as you follow the directions carefully, it should open up in Ringtones because, if done properly, it will no longer be a regular song file, it will be the "m4r" file which is the Ringtone file.
The only two things I can think of is maybe you dragged out the wrong file, the short :30 clip is the one you need to drag to the desktop, then delete it from your iTunes library. You need to make sure you delete it, then double-click the file on your desktop.
There is something you're not doing right because this isn't like a hit or miss thing, if done right it will be 100%.
thanks for the info...i just got an iphone and will be trying this out later.
It works. Thank you for this. Glad you were bored.
Come to think of it, I'm bored too.
This is cool in all for mac but cannot be done on a PC, windows will not let you edit the extension(file type).
Of course not, I wouldn't worry about making ringtones on a PC... go out and get yourself a Mac-you'll love it.
When they quit overcharging for the same equipment I can buy from a different manufacturer then I might. For the price of one mac book pro, I can buy 2 maybe 3 dells. Mac just needs to get smart and start alowing people to just buy Lepoard and be able to load it on any Core 2 DUO with out 3rd party help. They might out sell vista. Or better yet let dell sell lepoard, so on yur new Dell labtop you can choose windows or mac or both.
...with 2, maybe 3 times the problems
Yeah there has been no complaints about lepoard on here on mac hardware.....
Apple needs to get out of the computer hardware industry and maybe just sell cases, so you can buy components and buy a apple styled case. There really is no difference in hardware anymore......
Yawn. Maybe Ferrari should sell their engines so you can install one in your Civic too.
The best laugh I got out of your comment came after I read your signature:
"Can't wait to get rid of this @#$%&#@ Vista Machine!"
You bought a $500 phone and a $300 Apple TV, but no Mac? It's odd, that's all.
I've been running Leopard since the release date and couldn't be happier. I don't know how I didn't throw my old Dell out the window with all the spyware and pop-ups... never going back.
Maybe instead of buying that second or third Dell, put that money aside and get a MacBook, which isn't too expensive if that's all you're worried about.
This is by far the easiest way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!