Ringtones on Mac

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by i.shaun, Aug 31, 2008.

1. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

This may be the wrong section, but I'm unable to figure this out.

I have an Mp3-capable Motorola W385 cell phone, and I cannot for the life of me make a ringtone.

I tried all sorts of things. My old phone accepted .mp4 files and played them just fine, all I had to do was cut them in Garage Band.

I created an Mp4 file and they will not even be accepted by this phone, so I tried mp3. It will accept them, but for some reason, refuses to allow them to be applied as ringtones.

I thought maybe it only used MIDI music as ringtones, as the default ones are all MIDI. I downloaded a ringtone, which can be applied, however it is .mp3.

The info I can get from it is:
    -mp3 file
    -64 kbps
    -117 KB
    -0.16 sec

So I continued to converted a ringtone in iTunes to 64 kbps ringtone which was .mp3, and even smaller than 117 kbps -- still will NOT work.

Can anyone here help at all? This phone is capable, and I just cannot understand what I am doing wrong. There must be some audio setting that conflicts with it.

2. Burningelm macrumors newbie

Not an exact match, but worth a try

I just got a new phone myself and found a program that works well. BitPim allows you to link up your phone either with a cable or bluetooth and mess with everything down to the file structure. They even have a basic cropping tool for your ringtones. It doesn't specifically support your phone, but it could work and it seems the developers do update for new phones on occasion. Be aware that "There are no warranties...(ie this software may damage your phone)." Mine hasn't blown up yet, though. Hope this helps: http://www.bitpim.org/

3. i.shaun thread starter macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I have just come across that program myself, it accessed the phone "Motorola W385", but other steps did not seem to work.

It said to disable protection, delete a couple of files in the main directory, which I did. No problem. It then says to drop ringtones into specific directory called "my_ringers" which does not even show up in the phone's file structure.

I searched for the ringtones folder, and dropped one in there, but it did not show on the phone. The custom ringtone already on the phone still does not show up. I will try to bluetooth them over, in the hopes that they will drop in the "ringtones" folder, and not the "music" folder.

All in all, it makes no difference, I'm getting an LG phone, This one was all they had at the store, and it's already breaking, one of the most commonly used buttons is becoming less sensitive.