ringtones on pc w/o hacking

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waterskier2007, Feb 4, 2008.

1. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

my friend is a tool and has a pc. she wants to add ringtones to her iphone without hacking it. on my computer i use garage band to easily add ringtones. i know i could make them for her and then send them to her. i was wondering if there is a way for her to get a program (pc) and upload them into itunes and get them to the phone without hacking the iphone. thanks

2. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

Erm yeh, there is no reason to hack an iPhone to get your own ringtones on it at all. There are loads of posts on these forums about how to do it, so I'm not going to copy and past what people have already said. It's pretty simple.

3. waterskier2007 thread starter macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

yeah but all of the posts either describe just how to drag them to itunes, or how to make them with hacking. i want to know if there is a pc app to edit songs into ringtone format

4. MattsxB macrumors member

I use Adobe Soundbooth CS3 to trim the mp3 down to 30 seconds, then itunes to convert it to acc, then change the extension to .m4r place in Ringtones folder itunes-itunes music-Ringtones...

Hope that helped I found the info using the search function....

5. waterskier2007 thread starter macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

6. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

that does help a lot.. thank you

Sure, but if you don't have that / use that, then you can use some other music editor ... I use cool edit 2000 and protools

8. rayward macrumors 65816

Any MP3 editor can be used to edit a file into a ringtone. There's a bunch of free/cheap ones on the 'net. The only extra step required on a PC is that, once your music clip is created, you need to convert it into AAC format. To do this, you add the clip to your iTunes library and then, within iTunes, right click on it. You'll see a command to "Convert to AAC"; do this, and your clip will now have the ".m4a" extension. Find the clip in your music folder, change the extension to ".m4r" and double-click it. Voila! iTunes will add this to your ringtones file and it will be copied up to your iPhone at the next sync.

9. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

Can the songs be clipped down once they are already in the iTunes format?

10. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

that all depends on the editing software. You would think that logic or garage band coudld (I don't use either so I don't know)

11. snook911 macrumors 6502a

I use www.iphoneringtonemaker.com , edit the song down click send to i phone and it sends the ringtone to the iphone. It does not show up in itunes ringtones but the ringtones show up on the iphone. After the main sync is done the app does a short sync ( like 5 seconds) to send your ringtones over. With the new version you get cool features like ringtone shuffle and volume booster. Works great. $14.95 I think.

12. rayward macrumors 65816

If your music editor supports AAC, yes. Mine doesn't, so that's why I do things in the order I said.

13. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Try Audacity for the PC, it's free and does the job for the ringtones.

:)