Ringtones stored/cached in Contacts? (1.1.1)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gdevitry, Sep 28, 2007.

1. gdevitry macrumors member

I was pleasantly surprised to find that my custom ringtones survived the update! Although the songs do not appear in 'Sounds', they are still 'on' the iPhone. :) As long as I don't update a contact, maybe the ringtones will stay??

p.s. I had used iToner to initially install them. and will not be editing any contacts with custom ringtones.:D

2. chadsteruw macrumors member

The same worked on my partner's phone. he made a bunch with iToner. they don't show up in "sounds" but he still has his ringtone set up for his contacts. and they work!

3. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

Ssssh! I bet Apple are reading this now and will change that in the next update!

-Leemo

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

"You vill buy ze ringtones from us even if ve do not sell ze ringtone you vant! All attempts to use ze custom ringtones vill be crushed. Resistance is futile." -Die Apple Firma

5. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

wow, i did not realize that, but you're right. nice! shame i looked and my main general ringtone is gone. it was my favorite :(

6. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

User stonedgrace in the iPhone 1.1.1 firmware thread at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4253864 has possibly discovered a workaround for those using iTunes 7.4.0 (and possibly 7.4.1) and have updated to the 1.1.1 firmware:

First, create your ringtone with a .m4r extension and load it into iTunes. It will sync and it will show up in your iTunes library, however it will not work on the iPhone.

Second, copy the ringtone and save it in the same directory.

Third, change the extension of that copy to .mp4a. So you will have ringtone1.m4r and ringtone1.m4a in the same directory.

Four, use MakeiPhoneRingtone to copy the .mp4a file to the iPhone. At that point, it seems to work, though you now have two copies of the same ringtone on the phone.