Ringtones won't Sync to IOS4.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by CVUSA, Jun 26, 2010.

1. CVUSA macrumors member

I still can make free ringtones with iTunes 9.2 but can't sync anymore to iPhone 3gs(IOS4) and iPhone4 never work.
    Anyone have this problem ?

2. NovemberBlue macrumors newbie

Is your problem with syncing or with them not working after you sync?

If you can't get them to sync (i.e. - you can't drag and drop onto your iPhone in iTunes) make sure that you have checked "Manually manage music" on the main iPhone screen in iTunes. I had the same problem yesterday with my iPhone 4 and it now lets me drag and drop my free ringtones onto my phone and they all work. Hope that helps.

3. CVUSA thread starter macrumors member

I had problem with Syncing. And did the drag and drop too...it not there on my iPhone even it show(Ringtones) on iTunes screen on Mac. Still can't Sync the ringtones.

4. Rocs macrumors member

I have iPhone 4 and my ringtones will not sync either.. Any know fix yet?

5. CVUSA thread starter macrumors member

When I Sync My iPhone 4 ,i can see the iTunes are update the file (ringtones) but after synced i don't see those ringtones on my iPhone 4.
    Also every time sync are done a warnings always pop up [ The iPhone cannot be Synced A duplicate file name was specified ]
    Music,photos,apps,e mail, bookmark,Pdf ...all no problem to synced but still got that warnings after that.

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I'm a total noob to ringtones/iTunes ...

I converted/created a ringtone in 9.2 for my iP4 and am trying to add that to my iPhone. I get the warning:

"this iphone is synced with another iTunes library. Do you want to erase this iPhone and sync with this iTunes library?"

I'm not sure if this will screw anything up on my iPhone ... I only want to add the ringtone, not erase any on there?

7. ianray macrumors 6502

With respect, the warning says "Do you want to erase this iPhone..." yet you say you are not sure if this will screw anything up...?

Use the machine that you normally sync your iPhone with, and use iTunes on that machine to add the ringtone. Good luck :)

8. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I'm on the machine I normally sync with and that I activated my iPhone 4 on.

I just don't understand what I'd be "erasing" if I added a ringtone?

9. ianray macrumors 6502

Are you logged in to the same user account on your machine? For iTunes to be giving that warning, something has seriously gone wrong: it thinks your phone is synchronized with a different iTunes library.

That message means that (at least) your music will be erased -- and possibly Apps too (I'm not sure). Sorry I cannot be of any more help, and good luck :)

10. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Yep, same account.

Perhaps it has to do with upgrading from 3G to 4?

I don't have any music/ringtones on my 4 other than stock tones. Only time I ever used iTunes before was to upgrade software, and only after I read on MR that bugs were out.

Thanks for trying. :)

11. tokiidokii macrumors regular

i had this problem the day i got my phone. i did the whole 'sync ringtones' but the ringtones didn't show up. so i unchecked the box and resynced my phone then i checked the ringtone box again and resync a third time and then that's when the ringtones were finally uploaded. you can try that and see if it works for you. goodluck and congratulations! i seriously love this phone lol

12. ianray macrumors 6502

Hmmm, maybe. Sounds ok to go ahead and choose 'Erase' when that dialog pops up...

You're welcome :D

13. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I did and it added the custom ringtone & an album I purchased. Thanks, again.

14. 101blargman macrumors newbie

i tried all of that stuff but my ringtones still wont appear on my IOS4 got any tips?

15. redbusa06 macrumors newbie

I'm still having the same issue 101, have you resolved it yet?

16. tigress47 macrumors newbie

so i did the manage my music manually thing and went to the ringtones under iphone while connected and deleted them all. then i selected all my ringtones under library, dragged them to iphone and sync. now they're back

hope that helps u