Ringtones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mtnDewFTW, Sep 26, 2010.

1. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

Alright, so up until now, I didn't really care to get new ringtones on my iPhone, and sadly, I missed my chance after Apple took off their ringtone maker :(.
    I have lots of songs I purchased from iTunes, and I really don't wanna re-buy them as ringtones, so has anyone found a legit way to make those songs into ringtones, for free?
    Oh and, how do I get to the ringtone section of iTunes from my computer? So far the only way I can get to it is from my iPhone.

Thank you!

2. xyz1534 macrumors regular

try audiko.net, u can download iPhone specific ring tones, even make ur own...

Just add them to iTunes and sync with ur phone

3. mtnDewFTW thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried to Google it, and it came up with SO many things that I didn't know which was better and since I never bothered to do it before, I figured I'd ask people who know good from bad. But yeah, I know, I feel stupid for even asking lol

4. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

myxer.com is by far the best. dont even try anything else.

5. mtnDewFTW thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies, I tried both sites, and they work great! :)

6. HCP macrumors newbie

7. mtnDewFTW thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had no idea that GarageBand let you make ringtones!

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

GarageBand is actually better than most of those sites. From what I can tell, it sounds to me like GB automatically adjusts the EQ of the song when you export it as a ringtone so that it sounds better on tiny phone speakers. (It strips out some of the bass, for example.)

I can't speak for all those websites, but I seriously doubt that they all do stuff like that.

9. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

I found songs purchased on iTunes won't turn into ringtones because of the DRM.

So I had to re-download a song I'd just paid 99p for via 'alternative means' to get it work as a ringtone.

10. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Can anyone confirm that Zedge ringtones work with iP4?

11. mtnDewFTW thread starter macrumors 6502a

This may sound stupid, but do you think you could give me a little tutorial to how it's made in Garageband? And, ringtones are normally 30 seconds long, right?

12. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Never had that issue personally, and all my current ringtones are made from music purchased through iTunes. I use a method in iTunes similar to this one:

http://www.intomobile.com/2008/10/07/iphone-ringtones-create-free-iphone-ringtones-using-itunes-8/

It says the same thing, that DRM'd songs from iTunes won't work, but as I said, I've never had any trouble...

13. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

That makes two of us, I'll have to try doing that.

14. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i make all my ringtones from within itunes. pretty easy.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Drag a music file from Finder into Garage Band and just drop it on the timeline. Go to the SHARE menu and pick 'Send Ringtone to iTunes.'

GB will tell you it's too long and will place a yellow strip on the timeline that's the proper length. Drag that to where you want (hit Space bar to start and stop playing the preview). Once you like it, go back and select 'Send to iTunes' again. At that point you can close Garage Band without saving the project.

I don't have much experience doing this with protected songs. I THINK it works with the recent "Purchased" songs from iTunes but maybe not with the older "Protected" iTunes songs...? I'm not positive on either of those. You'll have to experiment. Most of the stuff I used was ripped from CD so it didn't have any DRM.

Honestly, I also used a lot of the built-in Garage Band loops as ringtones. Click the little eyeball in the lower left and pick a genre (like "grooving") and listen to the loops. Drag one up to the timeline and send it to iTunes...instant ringtone! (I particularly like the "Southern Rock Piano" options...just search for them.)

16. AppelGek macrumors member

17. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

iRinger
    It's free and very easy to use. Plus it automatically puts them in the correct spot.

18. FloridaMac macrumors regular

I got Ringtone Maker Plus from the App store and it works good. It's the only thing I've tried though.

19. RuggedPro macrumors regular

I took my ringtones off my PRE and loaded them into itunes for use on my iphone. They synced as music and I cant figure out how to get them as ringtones. Any help would be appreciated.

20. Scott90 macrumors 6502

I usually create an AAC file (from withing iTunes, right click and then "Create AAC version") from whatever song I want the ringtone of, then browse to the folder where the song's located, rename it to .m4r, add that file to iTunes and you got a ringtone. Haven't tried this with DRM'ed songs, but it probably works the same way. If you only want a portion of a song, edit the start and stop times (right mouse click, get info, options) of the song to whatever you want and then create the AAC version.

21. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

The iPhone uses a proprietary ringer format - .m4r - which is a renamed .m4a file. And they must be 40 seconds or less.

22. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

"Protected formats cannot be converted to other formats"

23. MacNews.co macrumors newbie

i also tried Ringtone Maker Pro and i am very happy with it. For those of you who want to know how it works, i wrote a quick review on my site.

but creating a ringtone with GarageBand is new to me...thanks for the hint

24. bigtallguy macrumors member