Ringtones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikemorris12, Feb 6, 2011.

1. mikemorris12 macrumors newbie

I bought a album of ringtones to activate. iTunes won't let me. I know the recent version of iTunes disables. Is there a way for me to activate these on my iPhone?

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Could you be a little more specific on where you got them. As far as I know Ringtones don't have to be activated. It's just a short music file after all. Drag and drop it into your iTunes library and it'll show up.

3. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

If you have a Mac, there is an App in the Mac App Store called "iRingtones." This should let you crop down any audio file into the appropriate length and file type, you then drag it into iTunes and sync.

4. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Or you could just do it yourself:
    1. Make sure that iTunes import settings are set to encode in AAC.
    2. Right click the song you want a ringtone of in iTunes and set the song to start and stop where you'd like it to in the "Options" tab.
    3. Go back to iTunes library, right click and choose "Create AAC version"
    4. Right click new version of song that shows up, and choose "Show in Finder" (or "Show in Explorer" on Windows). Rename the file extension from .m4a to .m4r.
    5. Remove the new ringtone from your iTunes library, and change your song play times back for the original.
    6. Open the new .m4r file in iTunes and it will automatically show up in your ringtone section.

It seems like a lot of steps, but once you've done it once or twice you'll realize how easy it is and how pointless it is to throw away your money on any software that makes ringtones for you.

5. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ringer, again on the mac app store, was free when I got it. Not sure if it's still free.

Really easy to use, simple interface.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yeah, I'm not sure why you would buy ringtones, my music alone would give me enough for years.

7. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

8. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

if u have a mac u can do whatever you want and make one in GarageBand

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

iToner will install convert & install any audio file as a ringtone on your phone. Drag and drop, basically.

10. yawnyj macrumors member

Can you send ringtones to your iPhone by text messaging them by email from your computer, or do they have to be converted & synced through iTunes? With my old phone this was how I got them on there & I already have a bunch in my computer files. Thanks for any help you can give.

11. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

Unfortunately, no. Apple requires that ringtones must be synced via iTunes. You can convert sound files to .m4r (or .m4a and then rename the extension) using software like Audacity (free for Mac or PC).

12. Acronym macrumors 68000

is there something wrong with this forum? Or are the mods deleting my posts? Because they seem to be inexplicably disappearing from this thread.

Check my sig for all your ringtone needs.

13. Eric374 macrumors 6502

Eric374

Dumb question and forgive me if it's been asked before, first iPhone and all, but can you assign individual contacts different ringtones?

14. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

Sure can. View the contact using the Contacts app or Phone app (and select Contacts), and look for Ringtone. Select one of Apple's preinstalled ringtones or a custom ringtone. I created AutoRingtone for that purpose... I missed have Talking Caller ID from my old Nokia phone.

15. Eric374 macrumors 6502

Eric374

Great, THANKS! Now if I can just figure out how to block unwanted calls it'll be perfect!

16. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

What I do is create contact called BLOCKED, associate unwanted numbers with it, and use a SILENT ringtone.

17. Eric374 macrumors 6502

Eric374

That would work too. I hate to say this, but on my old Android phone there was an option to actually block a call from even coming though, and it was one of the few things that worked rather well. I was hoping there was something similar in the App Store, but the only one that I found had so many negative reviews that I don't think I'll buy it.