Ringtones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SChaput, Sep 29, 2008.

1. SChaput macrumors regular

I was making a ringtone in garageband and syncing it to my iphone using itoner. In garage band i made it repeat itself, and its about 30 seconds long. When someone calls me it rings for them 4 times and goes to voicemail. On my end, the ringtone does not get close to the end of where i wanted it to be.
    is there anything i can do without shortening my ringtone?
    thanks.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

1) Why are you using iToner? Why not use GarageBand's SHARE menu and select "Send Ringtone to iTunes" option? (Do you have an old version without that feature?)

2) The length of the ringing isn't user defined by the phone. I think it has more to do with the carrier than you. It might be possible to lengthen or shorten it by speaking to your carrier. You could try giving them a call, I have no idea, really.

3) Why does this matter? If you're there to hear it, why aren't you answering the phone? And if you're not there to hear it, why do you care what it sounds like?

3. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I agree with SWC on this one. Still, I think there was a thread a week or two ago about changing the length of time the phone would ring before going to voicemail. It was some code to change the network settings.

4. caitlin macrumors member

caitlin

I use iToner because my ringtone is 0:34 long. Official ringtones have a :30 max.

5. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

And since most if not all iPhones from AT&T are set to hit Voice Mail in 20 or 25 seconds that last 14 or 9 seconds wont get played ever...

6. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Quoting myself to provide a link to the thread I mentioned: Click

7. unixfool macrumors 6502a

The concept behind having ringtones is for you and others to hear the ringtone when it rings. If its not sounding like it was designed to sound when it was created, that's a problem, IMO. No need to lay into him...sounds like a legit question to me.

8. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

not all of enjoy YOUR taste in ringtones

Unfortunately the 'others' generally DO NOT want to hear your ring tone for more then 5-10 seconds. It is rather rude and arrogant to think 'others' want to listen to your ring tone of Snoop Pac bizket or Cold Park or some 22y.o. bimbo.

Those rank up there next to 'answer tones' I swear to Steve Jobs I would love to find the 'engineer' that said 'Hey we can swap out the default ring tone file with crappy distorted music.'

9. unixfool macrumors 6502a

This is why you either turn it down or answer it as soon as you hear it. And if it bothers people that much to hear a ringtone, they should maybe learn to tune out what they can't control or put a q-tip all the way in their ears.

Also, a ringtone can be anything and be annoying...it doesn't have to be music. My coworker has a Transformers ringtone where it makes the sound that Transformers make when they shift forms. It is highly annoying but I learn to deal with it. There are more important things to get bent about.

10. tjmrpm04 macrumors member

Thanks for clearing that up. All this time I though that the concept behind a ring tone was to have an audible alert that someone is trying to call you.

Hmmmmm just like a non-smoker should "Tune out" the second hand smoke. I am not dead set against the concept of a ringtone but I get so freaking sick and tired of hearing these incessant tones that go on and on and the phones are not answered because "Oh I like this song". Also I have heard too many times a profane song as a ringtone. I should not be the one who needs to "Tune that out or put a q-tip in my ear". That is just ignorant.

Have a great day!

11. unixfool macrumors 6502a

1. The default ringtones are just as annoying...note that the OP wasn't talking about default ringtones, though. The OP mentioned ringtones. He states nothing about what soundbite it is or if it is profane. Anything that assaults the ears can be considered profane.

2. Second-hand ringtones don't give you cancer nor are they detrimental to your health....that's a rather dim comparison on your part. I guess we should prepare to see a law that bans ringtones due to health issues... Yes, tune it out. If someone is talking rather loudly, yet is not using profane language and is not breaking any laws, do you tell them to shut up? No, you nicely ask, but even if you do that, they don't have to oblige.

And you also have a great day. I'd offer you a ringtone if I could. :)

12. tjmrpm04 macrumors member

Honestly I started the response because of your statement that the Concept behind a ring tone was for you and others to hear it. The concept behind it was to alert you to a phone call. Not to share your tone with others. But if you need to express your individuality by having a ring tone of the works of others by all means go ahead, just don't get pissed when you get called out every time you share that individuality with others.

In a perfect world all phones would only be equipped with a vibrating alert only.

13. unixfool macrumors 6502a

A ringtone as the OP wants IS something that is designed to be unique yet also prompt you that your phone needs attention. A high percentage of the time, this turns into a vanity thing. In the OP's initial post, this appears to be what he means. We're not talking the definition of a ringtone in itself. We're talking about the OP's request.

So what if you don't like it...some people don't like noserings (that's definitely vanity) but how many times do you see people getting upset about it...don't like it, don't do it. The only life you can honestly control is your own. Unless ringtones are proven to harm people, they aren't going to go away.

The thing is, I've never ever ever been 'called out' for something as silly as that.

When the concept of phone was implemented, the phone was meant to be heard, not just by one person...it wasn't meant to vibrate. How in the world are you supposed to hear a vibration if your phone is 10 ft away? Yeah, sometimes you hear it vibrating on a hard surface...what about the phone being on a carpet, a bed, in your bag...

Phones were meant to be heard.

And the perfect world you speak of is hardly realistic. The guy typing on the loud keyboard next to me is highly annoying...what do I do, ban him from the office? No, I mentally filter it.

14. caitlin macrumors member

caitlin

You forget you can also use the ringtones for alarms, which play the whole tone.

15. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Good point there!

16. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Since the point seems to be getting missed, substitute "second-hand smoke" with "flatulence" and maybe it will be more clear as to how rude, but not unhealthy, an annoying ringtone that goes unanswered might be.

17. tjmrpm04 macrumors member

Hahaha.....Bluenoise, you are my new favorite poster. :) That is fantastic. Anyway, I figure that it was just not worth the time arguing with "Fool". It was very similar to an argument with my 14 year old step daughter. Thanks for the post.