Rip 7yr old wedding DVD on mac to edit in iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by AppleButterfly, May 14, 2012.

1. AppleButterfly macrumors newbie

Hi there. New to this forum. I have 4 wedding DVDs that I am trying to rip to my mac (OS X 10.6.8). I want to then edit these in imovie (as thats all i have) and then burn the movies back on to individual dvds.

I downloaded handbrake (64 bit) and VLC (32-64 bit) and have ripped the DVDs to mpv format. However iMovie will not import them in. Won't recognise it. When I went to 'get info', says the mpv is protected.

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. The DVDs are not copy protected as far as I know (but how would I know for sure)? Also what's the settings to select when ripping DVD to export to iMovie to edit and burn back onto DVD?

Is handbrake the best or meg streamclip? Also with mpg streamclip, says I have to purchase the apple DVD playback component but I don't want to purchase it of it won't rip the DVDs to a high quality finish or incase it doesn't work at all. Please help, at my wits end with this.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. rpenzinger macrumors member

try ivi - it's in the app store and will convert video to be edited by iMovie

good luck

4. AppleButterfly thread starter macrumors newbie

Mpeg streamclip doesn't take the mpv clip either. It just won't drag into the box. I don't understand what's going on. The mpv clips are around 6gb. Don't think it's a size issue.

----------

Mpeg streamclip doesn't take the mpv clip either. It just won't drag into the box. I don't understand what's going on. The mpv clips are around 6gb. Don't think it's a size issue.

5. simsaladimbamba

What preset did you use in HandBrake? It is strange, that you get an .mpv file, which I haven't encountered yet, as far as I know.

In order to find out, what may be wrong with your video, you can use the following three applications to analyse the .mpv video file.
    When done, you can use the "Report" (VideoSpec) and "Export" (Media Inspector) button to export a report,
    attachable to your next post via the [​IMG] button.
    In MediaInfo you have to go to the Menu Bar, select View > Text and copy the text via CMD+A > CMD+C and paste it via CMD+V into your next post.

6. AppleButterfly thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't been able to do the file check but with regards to the presets in handbrake, i have attached a screenshot. As you can see, I am not given a choice, I can only save the output as mp4 or mkv. I have attached the info on one of the outputs which shows it as a 'protected mp4'.

thanks for your advice thus far.

Attached Files:

7. AppleButterfly thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is the export from video spec of one of the videos (mp4). says video is not recognised. Maybe I am doing something wrong in handbrake? from my understanding, handbrake should give you a few options in what the output format should be?

Attached Files:

8. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

The problem is the CRF value of 0. Hardly anything will play CRF 0 videos. Try a value of 14.

9. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Hmm...your screenshot shows the output file in Handbrake to be an .m4v file, as does your screenshot of the Info panel of the resultant file.

10. AppleButterfly thread starter macrumors newbie

I tired to put the CRF value higher to 20 and it still won't import to iMovie. It's just greyed out. What am I doing wrong? Also what preset do I use? I want to burn a new set of DVDs.

----------

So why will iMovie not import this in? I'm at my worst end.

11. simsaladimbamba

Tried MPEG Streamclip yet, as pointed out (including links to descriptive guides) in post #2?

12. AppleButterfly thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep. It's not importing it. Won't even go into mpeg stream clip. I'm literally pulling my hair out.

13. simsaladimbamba

That is strange. I never had problems opening .mp4 files in MPEG Streamclip. Do you use the latest beta (1.9.3b8 beta) or the 2008 version (1.9.2) of MPEG Streamclip?

Is it the same .mp4 file you attached the report of?

14. AppleButterfly thread starter macrumors newbie

It says error: unrecognised file type. Proceed To open anyway. I click yes and it freezes.

----------

No I ran the DVD though handbrake again as the other person mentioned the CRF value was too low. Mpeg stream clip is version 1.9.3b7. After it freezes it says error: cannot find supported video or audio files.

15. simsaladimbamba

Then please make a report again and attach it to your next post. Is the CRF value set at 14?

16. AppleButterfly thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't do a report as video spec website doesn't have a link to do so. The CRF value was on 20 and I also tried 11.25. Is the CRF value contabt quality RF?

17. simsaladimbamba

Did you try CRF = 14? Can you open the current .mp4 in QT Player? If so, press CMD+SHIFT+S to SAVE AS and save it as self-contained movie file. Now try the resulting .mov in MPEG Streamclip.

If VideoSpec does not work, try MediaInfo.

18. AppleButterfly, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2012

AppleButterfly thread starter macrumors newbie

here is a screen shot of my handbrake page and properties of the video file:

Screen shot 2012-10-01 at 11.43.52.png

----------

No i did not try CRF 14... will do that now and it takes 45 mins for it to rip. The previous one does not open in QT player. What do mean by 'self contained movie file'? Sorry this is all new to me.

19. simsaladimbamba, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

simsaladimbamba

It seems, the .mp4 file you created is protected, but I don't know HandBrake that good, to tell you what to disable. A quick www search did also not bring any specifics on how to do this.

Anyway, since HandBrake introduces another compression, it introduces quality loss. Why not go the MPEG Streamclip + MPEG-2 Playback Component route?

EDIT: Just change the container from ".m4v" to ".mp4" and see if that works with MPEG Streamclip.

20. AppleButterfly thread starter macrumors newbie

what presets should i be using. I am not sure how it is protected either, i cannot see an option for it. I did a google search and seems this is why its protected:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2633767?start=0&tstart=0

----------

is the MPEG-2 Playback Component the one purchased via apple? What is this fails to work and i end up wasting the $20... i am losing faith in a successful outcome with this project.

21. simsaladimbamba

Yep, came across the same thread and thus my EDIT in the last post while you were replying. If you do not want to go the QT MPEG-2 Playback Component route, just change the ".m4v" to ".mp4" in Finder.

22. AppleButterfly, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

AppleButterfly thread starter macrumors newbie

Changed the container and the image of the file went black. When i inserted it to mpeg streamclip, it didnt recognise the file type. Urrrggggghhh!!

23. AppleButterfly thread starter macrumors newbie

Heres the videospec report

Attached Files:

24. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Your workflow isn't optimal - you shouldn't convert to H.264 when ripping in the first place. iMovie can import MPEG-2 video just fine.

- Re-rip the DVD with MakeMKV (free)

- demux the video track from the MKV file via for example MKVTools (free) - simply extract the stream. (Make sure you use the beta version of MKVTools - download at http://www.emmgunn.com/betadownload.html )

This MPG stream can directly be imported by iMovie.

Using my steps, you not only will be able to read your stuff, but also avoid a generation loss (because of the lack of the unnecessary H.264 transcoding at the beginning) and save a LOT of time.

You can also (separately) extract / import audio tracks.

Let me know if you need a more verbose tutorial: I've written several on MPEG2 and H.264 re/demuxing/track extraction and DVD ripping with the above-mentioned tools and can paste them here. (Can't provide direct links to them as it'd be self-promotion.)

25. AppleButterfly thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your response. Just to double check, will this let me edit bits out of my wedding dvds? The reason i want to rip the dvds is to import them into imovie as i am familiar with this and take out 2 minutes worth of footage along with the corresponding audio (some is background music, some places its the speech). I am looking for the best software (and easy to use) that will give me high resolution output. Everyone tells me handbrake is best for this but as you can see, I am having on going issues. For some reason my mac keeps 'protecting' all mp4's so useless to mpeg streamclip and imovies.