RIP Andrew Sachs - Manuel in Fawlty Towers

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Scepticalscribe, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Just spotted the obit today for the actor Andrew Sachs - he had actually died at the end of November, aged 86 and had suffered from vascular dementia for some years - who played Manuel in the classic British comedy Fawlty Towers.

Until I saw him interviewed years ago on the "Arts Show", I hadn't realised that Mr Sachs, - whom I had always thought of as a quintessential Englishman (playing an endlessly put-upon Spanish waiter - Manuel - in Fawlty Towers), actually came form a German Jewish background and had fled Berlin with his family shortly before the Second World War in order to escape persecution under the Nazis.

A wonderfully engaging man, he was an extraordinarily talented comic actor, without whom 'Fawlty Towers' - a classic of British comedy - silly would not have been the same.

2. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

3. kryten2 macrumors 6502a

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I knew him exclusively from Farty Towels Fatty Owls Flowery Twats Watery Fowls, ahem, Fawlty Towers, but he was wonderful in it.

5. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Rest in peace, little man.

And to think…. I just received my "Digitally Remastered" DVD of the complete Fawlty Towers a couple weeks ago. It was one of my Christmas presents to myself.