RIP Dame Anita Roddick

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Pani, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Pani macrumors member

Pani

Founder of the Body Shop and social entrepeneur Dame Anita Roddick died today at the age of 64. The reports say she died of a brain hemorrhage:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,2166382,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront

Dame Roddick championed many social causes and really made a difference around the world. I especially loved her for the creation of Ruby, the Rubenesque Barbie, to protest unrealistic body images for women. Recently, she created a Wise Woman campaign, to feature the unique beauty of the more mature woman. In fact, there is a Body Shop on the corner where I work and her own face was part of the Wise Woman campaign. Although she sold the Body Shop to L'Oreal, she definitely proved business could be a positive medium for change. A sad loss for the world!

2. PhylWalker macrumors newbie

Anita Roddick

I discovered the untimely passing of Anita Roddick when logging onto my e-mail this morning. As someone who is an empowered survivor of domestic violence, an activist within the US domestic violence awareness and prevention community, and a staunch believer in non-compromised economic empowerment for women, Dame Roddick, through example, inspired me to develop a nature and fine art photography business (Hummingbird Studios), in addition to creating an emerging non-profit organization (Esperanza! A Woman's Hope) whose mission is to economically empower survivors of domestic violence. Although I never met her personally, her passion and convictions have existed as a perpetual source of support and inspiration to me.

You will be missed, Anita!

Peace and Joy to your Celestial Spirit, for you are surely soaring with the Angels!

Phyllis Walker
    Owner: Hummingbird Studios Photography
    Founder: Esperanza! A Woman’s Hope, Inc.
    PO Box 384
    Lovejoy, GA 30250
    USA