Rip DVD & install on iTunes/iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DotCom2, Jul 26, 2009.

1. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

What would be the best and hopefully free way of ripping a DVD movie and installing it in iTunes so it can be tranfered to the iPhone?

2. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Handbrake

Might want to use Mac the Ripper first to rip your DVD and then use Handbrake to encode for your iPhone

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'd use Handbrake to rip said DVD and then use the (unfortunately no longer supported) iSquint to do the latter.

4. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68040

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Why use iSquint when Handbrake can encode for the iPhone directly? I use the Apple/Universal setting so I can also get decent quality on my media Mac Mini.

By the way, Handbrake doesn't rip. It encodes the video from the DVD. Ripping gives you a copy of the DVD. MacTheRipper or FairMount are free apps that allow you to rip. Ripit is a nice pay-for app that works well.

Handbrake then - http://handbrake.fr/?article=download

6. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Thank you very very much!

7. Acronym macrumors 68000

I had trouble with handbrake when trying to recode directly from the DVD so I used DVD decrypter to get it off the dvd I used handbrake to recode it to iPhone format

8. jman240 macrumors 6502a

google dvd decrypter, same thing as mac the ripper but for windows

9. Leopold00 macrumors newbie

10. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

11. EmptyG macrumors regular

If you're on a PC, I found this to be the easiest:

DVD in drive -> rip it to your hard drive with DVD Decrypter -> encode it with Videora (all free applications).

The reason I rip it to the hard drive first is that it makes it much faster (IMO) to encode, and sometimes DVDs have scratches or errors on them that DVD decrypter seems to take care of.

But any of the methods mentioned before me work well too. Have fun! :)

12. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I second EmptyG's recommendations, those two are my most favorite programs of all time!

13. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

I use Fair Use application. There is a free version online. What is nice about the app is the app is that it converts DVD to h.264 in one step. It also supports dual pass encoding for better video. And most importantly, its free :cool:

14. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Thank you all SO much!
    This is an awesome forum!
    :D:D:D

15. taikero macrumors newbie

Another vote for Handbrake here. Although once I'm out of college and am able to put together a nice HTPC/home theater, I'll probably buy AnyDVD. It's much faster, has more support, and handles more formats. Fairly expensive, though, which is why Handbrake alone will suffice for now.

Might still use Handbrake to encode for devices like the iPhone, though.

16. eliteneo macrumors member

17. davyreins macrumors 6502

I use handbrake as well, it's very easy to use.

18. crazymcdazy macrumors newbie

Hi,

I used handbreak to convert an AVI file to mp4. The file was 2hr 19 min in length about 6GB. UFC 97

any way handbreak did the job. It took about 1 and 1/2 hours. Then i put in itunes and try to put on the phone. But itunes says this file is not supported for iphone.

So i select the video then go to advanced tab and convert to iphone support.

THIS TOOK OVER 20 HOURS TO CONVERT TO IPHONE IN ITUNES WTF!!!!!:confused::confused::confused:

I use PC