rip dvd to iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jedi5, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

was working on a dvd earlier today and burned my finished movie to a dvd.
    dumb me accidentally trashed my movie file instead of saving it like i always do.

i want to burn that movie again but i know i first have to rip my dvd back to the hard drive.

is there anyway when i rip this movie back to my HD, that it will rip or save as an M4V file? i started to use handbrake to rip the dvd but i saw the VOB files instead. is this possible or will i be stuck with VOB files?

i really like that my movie files that i have saved are all in M4V format.
    if possible, i'd like to stay away from vob.

thanks

2. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

If it's not a copy-protected DVD, you have a few ways to go about this:

1. Follow the steps here. This will create a disc image that you can write to other DVDs.

2. Download handbrake and VLC (although you shouldn't need VLC for this, it doesn't hurt). Make sure VLC is the 64-bit version, as it will tell you on the site. Then, you can encode a .M4V version of your movie and make another DVD. The recommended preset on the forums is usually the ATV2 preset. I'd suggest this method if you don't need to make another DVD and just want a video file.

If it is a copy protected DVD, then only method 2 will work. I'd recommend doing both, as neither will take a lot of time, and you'll have a duplicate DVD image to burn later and a video file for leisurely viewing. You can also download a trial of ripit, or the old free version of Mac The Ripper, and use them instead of method 1. However, method 1 will give you a file that's easier to burn onto another disc later on.

Hope this helped.

3. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

Thanks for your help.
    I've never worked with hb before to rip a DVD so I wasn't sure of how to go about it.

I used hb and VLC as I kept getting prompted it was needed.
    Was able to rip the DVD and keep as one big file like I wanted, in the format I was asking about.

Thanks again!