Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Alright so about five minutes ago I was a dumbass and accidentally formatted my external hard drive with my iTunes library on it. My AppleTV currently has everything still. Is there anyway to rip the files from my AppleTV to my computer?

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
Just because you formatted the drive doesn't mean the data is gone.

You can get File Recovery Software and restore it to another drive pretty easily.

Files aren't actually gone until they have been written over.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Bear in mind I have never owned an AppleTV, but won't it just sync back to your Mac? Or is it one way sync only?

If it does happen to be one way only, then surely there is a ripping tool you can use. A few years ago, I had some weird software corruption on my Mac and lost the majority of my iTunes library. But, since at that time I had all of my music on my 40GB iPod, I was able to use a free utility I got from versiontracker to move it from the iPod to my Mac, and all was happy again. Versiontracker is dead now, but MacUpdate is still a good source for freeware/sharware.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Just because you formatted the drive doesn't mean the data is gone.

You can get File Recovery Software and restore it to another drive pretty easily.

Files aren't actually gone until they have been written over.

Such as?

Bear in mind I have never owned an AppleTV, but won't it just sync back to your Mac? Or is it one way sync only?

If it does happen to be one way only, then surely there is a ripping tool you can use. A few years ago, I had some weird software corruption on my Mac and lost the majority of my iTunes library. But, since at that time I had all of my music on my 40GB iPod, I was able to use a free utility I got from versiontracker to move it from the iPod to my Mac, and all was happy again. Versiontracker is dead now, but MacUpdate is still a good source for freeware/sharware.

If I sync it with my iTunes library everything will be erased.
Software to rip files from an iPod is really easy to find and develop, but for an Apple TV it's a different story, especially since it syncs wirelessly.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Such as?

If I sync it with my iTunes library everything will be erased.
Software to rip files from an iPod is really easy to find and develop, but for an Apple TV it's a different story, especially since it syncs wirelessly.

Fair enough. It's going to take someone smarter than me to figure it out then.

Good Luck!

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
I can't remember the name of the software but Google does help a little.

Not trying to be a prick. Just thought I would help out with the format information I provided earlier.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
i think it's pretty straight forward if you ssh into the ATV. no backup?

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
i think it's pretty straight forward if you ssh into the ATV. no backup?

Nope. No backup. That was my backup. :\
And I am currently SSHing it into my MacBook, but that is taking forever. Currently it says 180 hours remaining.. >.<

Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.