RIP - Harvey Korman

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Chip NoVaMac, May 29, 2008.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

2. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I second that. As a kid I looked forward to this show since it was so consistently funny and Harvey Korman was such a big part of this.

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

It was even funnier when he would start laughing during routines with Tim Conway, who always kept a straight face. They were a good crew together.

4. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

That was what I was thinking of with the comment from the previous poster.

Harvey Korman was such a perfect companion to Tim Conway. In some ways breaking the "fourth wall"; while keeping us in stitches.

Oh, the days that sex did not have to sell a TV show! :(

Just good comedy chemistry....

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

"The Star Wars Holiday Special"

'nuff said.... :eek:

6. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Gal-darnit, Mr. Lamarr, you use your tongue prettier than a 20-dollar whore.

Everytime I think of Harvey, a smile crosses my face. He'll be sorely missed.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Here's a bit of Harvey Korman trivia: The name of the character he played in "Blazing Saddles" (the aforementioned "Hedley Lamarr"), led Mel Brooks to be sued -- by Heddy Lamar. Evidently they settled out of court, so preserving intact one of Korman's funniest roles.

8. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Definitely brings back such happy memories..how can you not appreciate his talents on that show. Him and Tim Conway...priceless really

9. Evangelion macrumors 68040

I guess the revolutionaries finally put Count Da Money to the guillotine. Sad news indeed.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

So many great memories from Saturday nights in the 70s. RIP Mr, Korman.

11. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

He made my growing up a much happier time. RIP Harvey.

12. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

I wonder what percentage of mambers here actually know of or remember him. Quite a funny guy, RIP.

13. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Evidently not many given so few comments here so far. I guess some of us are showing our true age here. :) LOL

There is something to be said about a guy that can make you laugh with out resorting to profanity and the such. Tim Conway must be heart broken.

14. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

True comedic talent. The comedians today do not even compare to what the likes of Harvey Korman, Tim Conway, Carol Burnett. I am saddened by his passing and shall watch Blazing Saddles and History of the World Part I in his memory.

Peace:cool:

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

We put "Blazing Saddles" on the DVD player last night. Korman was very funny in it of course, but I was reminded how many of the really big laughs in that movie came from the performance of the great Madeline Kahn. I don't recall her passing about ten years ago being much marked. One thing you can say about actors in film and TV though is that they leave a legacy that can't be erased. They've achieved a sort of immortality.

16. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I think you're right. Unfortunate that most of the what's out there today can't be as humorous, witty and genuinely talented without going gutter. Harvey and Tim could barely keep straight faces doing most of their skits which in turn started cascades of character breaking from others. Harvey would just look at Tim doing the Dorf routine and start cracking up.

I remember growing up when Tim Conway was a regular and writer for the Ghoulardi (Ernie Anderson) show on Ch. 8 in Cleveland and everyone was heartbroken when he moved to big time in Hollywood.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

While I am younger and missed the boat by about 15 years, I have seen clips and I agree that the comedy they had really can't be matched in todays world. They did it without being raunchy or dirty jokes. I think my favorite is in the dentist office where Tim sticks himself with the Novocain and Harvey is trying to keep a straight face. You don't see comedy like that anymore when they are trying to make each other laugh more than the audience.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not everything on the Burnett show was that good but it definitely was a unique blend. TV sketch comedy has hardly ever been done so well (you'd have to go back to Sid Ceasar at least). Part of what made it work, in addition to the great cast and writing, was Carol Burnett's choice to let audience in on the gags by allowing the chemistry between the players to be in plain view. We liked to see Tim Conway's ad-libs crack up Harvey Korman because he was cracking us up too. On another show they might have done a retake, but Burnett saw that the spontaneity added a level of audience enjoyment that exceeded the humor by itself. Carol Burnett was brilliant, really, for seeing and understanding this aspect of TV comedy and for having the courage to let it happen. Harvey Korman benefited by being a part of all that. Even he admitted that his career didn't go anywhere after he left the Carol Burnett Show.

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

20. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

R.I.P.

Man he made me laugh.... He will be missed.

21. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

He portrayed true comedic talent. I have fond memories of Blazing Saddles and the Carol Burnett show (I especially remember the 'Bloopers' Episode done after the show ended). I even had a sound clips of Harvey (as Hedley Lamarr) saying "Kinky!" and "Daddy loves froggy. Froggy love Daddy?" for various event reminders back in days before OS 8. Always brought a smile to my face. :)