Rip home video dvds: Which Program(s) to Use?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jertronic, Dec 12, 2011.

1. jertronic macrumors member

I purchased my first iMac last month. The final step in "data migration" entails putting home video dvds onto my iMac. I have the rest of my home videos in iMovie.

Although this subject have probably been covered many times I would like to hear a fresh (Lion) take on which programs to use for a newbie.

I can't make an educated choice on matcheripper vs handbrake etc etc.

I have video monkey already, but nothing else has been downloaded.

If I understand correctly the 2 step process is 1) rip the video 2) convert into something that iMovie accepts.

Thanks

2. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I've used both but hating to state the obvious - but why don't you just try them and see how you get on?

3. jertronic thread starter macrumors member

I was hoping to get an updated opinion as Lion now supports mpeg-2 format. So, when ripping the dvd I should be able to import the video making it usable in iMovie.

This is such a new process to me that I'm not sure which video format is best.

4. jertronic thread starter macrumors member

I went ahead and ripped my first home movie dvd with a trial version of Mac DVD Ripper Pro. will likely have questions once the rip is complete.

20 minutes for 4Gb of home video.

5. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I do not think RipIt is free (It wasn't when I bought it)... but it is so easy to use, that it is well worth the $20 I spent.

/Jim

7. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Yep, RipIt is trial ware I believe. So many rips before you have to buy...at least that's how it used to be.

Still an excellent option for ripping. But MacTheRipper should do it fine, or Handbrake...especially for home movies.

For importing to iMovie, I would rip to MP4 and import. See how that works for you.

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

When I was looking, MacTheRipper had a poor reputation because it was difficult to buy and set up (from my understanding).

I would say in overall Mac community preference... it appears to me that the programs are in the following preferred order:

1) Handbrake (free)
    2) RipIt ($20 but EXTREMELY simple interface)
    3) MacTheRipper... I really do not know much about this.

The general proceedure to rip a movie you own is to: 1) Rip the movie removing copy protection, and 2) Transcode into a format that you want.

I have traditionally been using Ripit for the actual rip... and then Handbake for transcoding. At some point, my version of RipIt was upgraded that performed both Ripping and Transcoding to MPEG4. I have not tested it and continue to do things the way I always have. Now I understand that Handbrake will also do ripping. I was previously unaware of that.

/Jim

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Me I'd use Handbrake on the ATV2 setting (turn off the AC3 #2 track for your home movies) and get an AppleTV2 for playback. iTunes is an excellent organizer and tagger.

10. jertronic thread starter macrumors member

Are there any knocks against Video Monkey for the purpose of converting video files to an iMovie friendly version. I opted to convert the ripped video from VOB to DV. Therefore iMovie will be grabbing the files as DV upon import. Is this smart? Or, is MP4 the better option? Thanks. I'm still larnin' the video concept here.

11. JasonA macrumors member

MPEG Streamclip is all you need to convert DVD into a format for editing. MacTheRipper is unnecessary for home movies; its main purpose is to strip copy protection from retail DVDs, it doesn't actually do any audio or video conversion.

12. Vikingobsessed macrumors newbie

DVD Fab

For years with my PC's i used many iterations of dvd fab and never had any problems...it rips and converts in one easy process...did a bunch on my dell laptop and saved in ipad, touch and atv2 formats. Got a mac in Oct, installed vmfusion, loaded my purchased dvd fab into windows and have ripped away with no problem...even sends it to my itunes library. For years I had netflix dvds and would rip them. No problems at all. DVD fab even has a new mac version out this month. I know there are a lot who don't want to pay for this since it is free to get a number of different solutions, but I like the convenience of not having to rip then encode.

13. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

Ripit is not free. I used to use MTR and now exclusively use handbrake

14. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Free for 10 Rips.

15. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

No one has mentioned that with a home video, you don't need a DVD ripping app at all. Just make a folder with the same name as the DVD and copy the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders into the folder.

It's probably quicker to do it this way than using a ripping app.

NOTE - this is just for ripping. I recommend Handbrake to convert to h264/mpeg4 and MPEGStreamClip to convert to DV (for iMovie).

16. JasonA macrumors member

Um, yeah.

17. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Whoops, my bad. I must have read past that on your post.

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Further to this, if you rename the folder to have a .dvdmedia extension then it'll appear as a single file that launches DVD Player when you open it.

19. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Sweet! I never knew this. Was this always in OS X?

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm not sure how long that feature's been there. It works in at least 10.6 and 10.7.

21. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Handbrake or MakeMKV if you want the DVD to stay in tact in a nice little container.

22. BlackTofu macrumors member

I prefer to use Handbrake because the home DVD do not have copyright protection.