Rip It problem

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iaddict, Oct 20, 2010.

1. iaddict macrumors 6502

I have two new DVD movies I am ripping for my grandson. Both came in a 2 DVD set, the second DVD is what's called "extras" which has things that weren't included in the original movie, behind the scenes, etc. Anyway, both of the movies ripped fine in RipIt but neither of the extras DVDs will rip. They get to a certain point and then just hang there, never completing the rip. Just curious about whether or not this is typical and is there another way to complete this other than just clicking on the RIP button?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What about using other ripping software?

Or using Handbrake + VLC Player?

Quoted from How to backup/copy/rip video DVDs to your HDD and transcode them to another format.

3. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

I have VLC but....

I really dont understand what it does. I did open the .vob files in VLC but then I don't know where to go from there. THanks for your response. I will try and read through all your links to see if I can make sense of what I need to do next. This is all new to me so I don't know a thing about how to do this.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

VLC is needed to circumvent the copy protection scheme, you still use Handbrake, Handbrake just access the VLC library to decode the video stream.

And what about trying other rippers? I included three links in my first reply?

Then this is the one for you: How to backup/copy/rip video DVDs to your HDD and transcode them to another format.

5. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

MacDVDRipperPro

Tried the trial version of it but then couldn't get it to burn the new DVD. I know I must be missing a step somewhere but I can't figure it out. Also tried the free version of Wondershare DVD Creator but it only burned the DVD in sections, so once the first section is over, it stopped. Would make watching a movie horrible!