Rip It question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brn2rnjk1, Apr 10, 2011.

1. brn2rnjk1 macrumors regular

Just downloaded ripit. It seems to have a compression program from Handbrake that automatically runs. Should I shut it off and handbrake manually for itunes and my ipod touch (and Ipad) or allow this to run? It takes an additional 40 minutes or so on ripit so not sure that this is worth it if I then have to handbrake

Thanks

2. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I have Ripit and it's great. It rips the DVD 1st then compresses it. Form what I heard this is better on your optical drive because it's not compressing the same time it's ripping it.

3. brn2rnjk1 thread starter macrumors regular

But is it then in the compressed form to load to itunes and sync to ipad or ipod touch?

4. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

I love ripit. Usually use handbrake to compress afterwards, though. If I compress it.

5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Yes, there is a setting to add it to iTunes automatically.

6. brn2rnjk1 thread starter macrumors regular

But, Handbrake has those settings for compression (Ie, Ipod touch/Ipad/ appletv etc.). When ripit runs its comression program, what format is it in. Will I be able to load it into iTunes and then sync to my handhelds? Or is it better to ripit and run Handbrake seperately?

7. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

Look under preferences for RipIt to select what "profile" to use for the compression. Also, if there are multiple versions of a film on the DVD, I have seen RipIt compress all the versions. If you want to only get one version (like a directors cut), then you will need to rip only, then use handbrake to select the version you want.

8. brn2rnjk1 thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect and thanks. Now one last question, is there a setting on Ripit compression to get the close caption stuff or if I want that do I need to use handbrake?

Thanks again.

9. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

1. Open Handbrake ... open some media file (DVD rip or previously encoded movie) Handbrake does not appear to allow you to edit presets unless there is some media loaded.
    2. Expand the "presets"
    3. Select a preset that you want closed captioning
    4. Go to the "subtitles" tab and set up the closed captioning. (I don't really know how this works ... I don't want subtitles or CC on my movies.)
    5. Now, click the "+" at the bottom of the presets tab and save the new configuration under a new name
    6. Go back to RipIt's preferences and select the new preset

I think this would do what you ask, but if you need to make specific subtitle/CC selections for each movie, you would be better just doing it in Handbrake manually.