Rip movies to HDD w/100% quality.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wizwaz3, Sep 19, 2007.

1. wizwaz3 macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

Hi, I've decided that I would like to try and get myself a Mac Mini and rip all of my DVDs to it. I've been trying different techniques on my iMac in terms of quality. I just can't seem to find a way to rip the darn thing without losing quality or 5.1 surround sound. Anybody have any ideas for me? I've been using Handbrake, is there something else?

Thanx! :)

2. wizwaz3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

I use MactheRipper, but I mean to rip to the hard drive into a 'media hub' I guess. You know what I mean? Sorry if I as unclear. I don't mean to re-burn them, just rip them to the hdd to watch at full quality. Is it possible? :confused:

3. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Rip the disc to your drive and open the VIDEO_TS folder in DVD Player. That's the only "100% quality" option. Anything requires re-encoding.

The only problem is that you'll need a HUGE hard drive to make that workable.

I don't know of a way to recompress it (using something like HandBrake or QuickTime Pro) that will retain your multi-channel audio, but someone around here is bound to know more about it than I do.

4. wizwaz3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

Thank you! :)

I have a lot of DVDs so it might not be worth it, but I'll still consider. If anyone else has any knowledge of this I'd be so appreciative! :)