RIP Mrs Brady, Florence Henderson dies.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacNut, Nov 24, 2016.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Florence Henderson, the wholesome actress who went from Broadway star to television icon when she became Carol Brady, the ever-cheerful matriarch of "The Brady Bunch," has died, her manager and her publicist said. She was 82.

Henderson died Thursday night at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, after being hospitalized the day before, said her publicist, David Brokaw. Henderson had suffered heart failure, her manager Kayla Pressman said in a statement.

Family and friends had surrounded Henderson's hospital bedside, Pressman said.

On the surface, "The Brady Bunch" resembled just another innocuous TV sitcom about a family living in suburban America and getting into a different wacky situation each week.

But well after it ended its initial run, in 1974, the show resonated with audiences, and it returned to television in various forms again and again, including "The Brady Bunch Hour" in 1977, "The Brady Brides" in 1981 and "The Bradys" in 1990. It was also seen endlessly in reruns.
    https://apnews.com/2f3b33a3942d433fa542d092825f5353/Florence-Henderson,--

2. Nick11Mac macrumors 6502

Nick11Mac

She had a long career, always thought she was a good actress.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4. jaduff46 macrumors regular

jaduff46

Met her in the early 60s when I was in HS outside Chicago. Wonderful woman.

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Sad, although I didn't like the Brady Bunch. I was more of a Partridge Family kid.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Very sad, she was a good actress and a wonderful person.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

10th kid of an Irish-American tobacco sharecropper in a tiny piece of Indiana.

"Flyover country"... my a##.

I mean one can fly over a lot of places in the USA but one will clearly will miss a lot. It takes a certain amount of grit to get out of Dale, Indiana and a certain amount of character to live like you would still be welcome at table back there. And the meantime to have become such a wonderful entertainer. RIP Florence Henderson!

8. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

No kidding. Ol' Grim Reaper has kept quite busy in the celebrity world this year. Henderson joins several other sitcom legends who have passed away this year:
    • Abe Vigoda (of Barney Miller fame)
    • Doris Roberts (Marie on Everybody Loves Raymond)
    • Garry Shandling (The Larry Sanders Show)
    • Pat Harrington (Schneider on One Day At A Time)
    • Patty Duke (star of her namesake show)
    • William Schallert, the actor who played Patty Duke's father in that show
    • George Gaynes, the "father" of Punky Brewster
    • Garry Marshall, creator of Happy Days and its many spinoffs
    • Michu Meszaros, Hungarian actor who played ALF in costume during full-body/motion shots
    • Natalya Krachkovskaya, Russian film actress who played in the 90s Russian sitcom Klubnichka in her later years.

And the year's not over yet.

9. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

UGH....... 2016 you can really kiss my ass at this point.

RIP ........

11. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

RIP Mrs. Brady. So long Mrs. Wessonality!

--- Post Merged, Nov 28, 2016 ---
    I was also saddened when Cal Worthington died a couple years ago. The West Coast knows Cal more than most "celebrities".

12. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

As much as I loved Prince and Leonard Nimoy and Alan Rickman, I didn't cry when they died. However, I did sit at my kitchen table and shed a couple of tears for this lovely lady. When my childhood was utter crap sometimes, as it is for all kids at some time or another, she was one of my favorite tv moms I could "borrow" for a half an hour during Brady Bunch when my own mom was being a garden variety flawed human being.

I just recently found out her own mom abandoned the family when she was 12 and that her childhood was horrible. So she became the incredible mom she never had and always wanted. Just three days before she died she was out giving her support to her tv daughter Maureen McCormick on Dancing With The Stars. It wasn't just a persona for her. She wanted to truly be that giving and kind and make people feel better for having known her. Well...mission accomplished. RIP.

Here's an interview with Maureen about Florence and an article about Florence supporting her on DWTS: http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity...remembering-tv-mom-florence-henderson-w452650