Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cml91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver BC Canada
hi, how do you rip music from audio cd so it exports as a mp3 because when i copy the files from the CD and paste it into my music folder it is a AIFF which is 40 mb per file rather than the average 4 mb mp3 can anyone please help me?:)

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
cml91 said:
hi, how do you rip music from audio cd so it exports as a mp3 because when i copy the files from the CD and paste it into my music folder it is a AIFF which is 40 mb per file rather than the average 4 mb mp3 can anyone please help me?:)

Open itunes, select import.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
cml91 said:
its still not in mp3 format its now a AAC which is smaller but i need it in mp3 format
Select the MP3 encoder and bitrate of your choice under Preferences Advanced Importing

FWIW. At the same bitrate (i.e. filesize) AAC sounds better than MP3 to many people...

B

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
cml91 said:
its still not in mp3 format its now a AAC which is smaller but i need it in mp3 format

Open up itunes preferences, select Advanced, select Importing. Then change the 'Import Using' setting to MP3 encoder.

cml91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver BC Canada
thanks guys oh i just need .mp3 file cause i was sending the files over to my friend with a PC and mp3 just seems more right giving it to him cause the days with my PC ive never seen a AAC or AIFF file lol

dogbone

macrumors 68020
balamw said:
Select the MP3 encoder and bitrate of your choice under Preferences Advanced Importing

FWIW. At the same bitrate (i.e. filesize) AAC sounds better than MP3 to many people...

B

I saw some testing done somewhere that showed that mp3 at 160 was better than acc 128 and that the LAME encoder was the best way to do it. At the moment I use lame encoder plug in through iTunes.

EDIT: I've found the link

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
cml91 said:
thanks guys oh i just need .mp3 file cause i was sending the files over to my friend with a PC and mp3 just seems more right giving it to him cause the days with my PC ive never seen a AAC or AIFF file lol

So did you get it to work in mp3? You should have, it's really easy.

AAC is supposedly the "successor" to mp3 and is gaining more support in current music players (even the Zune will support AAC). The music from the iTunes Store is encoded in 128kbps AAC and supposedly sounds as good as 160kbps mp3.

I think a variant of AAC (developed in conjunction with Dolby by the way) is used in the advanced formats used on HD-DVDs and when Blu-Ray moves over from MPEG-2 to the newer codec it's in that too.

AIFF is basically a Mac version of WAV, it's uncompressed but I don't know anything else about it. Apple Lossless is like a zipped version of AIFF. When you encode to mp3/AAC you throw out a lot of the information from a music track and then compress it to get a very small file size. With Apple Lossless you don't throw out any info, just compress the file so it's full CD quality at about half the original size whilst mp3/AAC is about ~7% of the original size but with some quality loss in the process.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
dogbone said:
I saw some testing done somewhere that showed that mp3 at 160 was better than acc 128 and that the LAME encoder was the best way to do it.
You do realize that 160 kbps MP3 means a bigger filesize than 128 kbps AAC, and that this article was last updated 3 years ago, right? ;)

B

dogbone

macrumors 68020
balamw said:
You do realize that 160 kbps MP3 means a bigger filesize than 128 kbps AAC, and that this article was last updated 3 years ago, right? ;)

B

Yes but apple favorably compare aac 128 with mp3 160 so one would assume at the same bitrate 160 aac would be much better than 160 mp3 but this does not seem to be the case.

Have apple improved their aac encoder over the last couple of years?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
dogbone said:
Yes but apple favorably compare aac 128 with mp3 160 so one would assume at the same bitrate 160 aac would be much better than 160 mp3 but this does not seem to be the case.
QUOTE]
Where's the data. The article you linked had MP3 @ 160 VBR vs. AAC @ 128?

Apple has definitely improved the codec over the past few years as have the MP3 encoders and any comparisons from iTunes 4 to LAME from 2003 should be considered null and void.

In my own tests at 128 kbps (MP3 CBR, MP3 VBR, AAC) I can hear minor compression artifacts in both MP3 and AAC if I'm listening with headphones in a quiet room, but the AAC ones are less obvious under casual listening in more usual background noise conditions.

And FWIW Microsoft has been comparing 64 kbps WMA to 128 kbps MP3 for years and it doesn't make it so.

B

ddekker

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2006
Michigan
Mp3

I ripped over 1500 cd's using iTunes, the audio quallity is fine, the only issue I have is that it lumped 100's of the cd's in "compalations" folder, so it has taked a fair amount of time to re-arange these (I know apple doesn't care about folders.. but I do)

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.