Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Well, after three years of faithful service, my AirPort Expres has died on me. I came home last night and found that I couldn't get online, looked over at my APE and found it unresponsive. The light won't come on and it's not slightly warm to the touch like usual. Dead :p

So after digging up an ethernet cable and plugging in to get online, I figured I'd just go for it, buy the latest and greatest and get the AirPort Extreme. I stupidly ordered it without looking close enough, and upon further inspection this morning, realized that it doesn't include support for AirTunes! Since it already shipped, I'm going to have to return it once it gets here. I'm wondering why Apple wouldn't include that functionality on a brand new model, when they sell one that's three years old for half the price that does include it? It's a great feature that I use all the time, and I'm kind of disappointed that I couldn't just buy the new high-end model and have that functionality. Oh well.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
I know airtunes was cool.... but now there's :apple: tv for your streaming pleasures....

again i know its a lot more expensive to get :apple: tv just for music but hey thats half the reason it out there.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
For some reason airtunes is available on airport express but not extreme.
Which is really annoying as I'm planning a NAS for my backup solution/VM images and the extreme would be perfect, especially as it's 802.11N, but I also want airtunes to be able to play music from my macbook, and get a reprise from the wifes dodgy EBM!
If they included both functionality in one, I'd have bought one, as it is, I've bought neither.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
I know airtunes was cool.... but now there's :apple: tv for your streaming pleasures....

again i know its a lot more expensive to get :apple: tv just for music but hey thats half the reason it out there.

Wouldn't that mean having to turn on your TV to listen to music? That'd be a major turn off for me.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
If they included both functionality in one, I'd have bought one, as it is, I've bought neither.

God I love Apple's marketing. Two devices that could be rolled into one, but they sell them separately to make more money.

Wait a minute. Isn't that what they did with the iPhone. Where's the simplicity? I'm going insane...:(

@ OP -- That does seems backwards of Apple not to have included Airtunes with the extreme. Not sure what to think of that. I'm sorry for you but glad you posted because I never would have even thought about it. So you've done some good in the world. Thanks! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.