RIP my old 3g ... need advice...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by myfirst512, Jul 24, 2011.

1. myfirst512 macrumors newbie

Today's a sad day... I believe that my old 3g died :( (sniff).

The screen is dead and refuses to come back to life... despite hard restarts and software restores, it will not show signs of "visual" life... Note: chimes and vibrations can still be detected.

In the past... it mysteriously responded after some time left alone (pouting). But this morning... there's no resurrecting it.

Honestly, I was just hoping that it would last me 'till the new hotness of an IP5 was introduced... but now I'm stuck and need advice.

What's the best way to tread water until the new phone comes out?

- I was thinking of getting the IP4 and returning it within the 30 day window, praying that the IP5 is out by then.

Is that the best solution?
    Or is there something I'm not thinking of?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

We don't know when the iPhone 5 is going to be released. I would either get an iPhone 4, use it and keep it. Or wait till the iPhone 5 is releases and in the meantime buy a cheap go between phone.

3. OskarLGS macrumors newbie

OskarLGS

If you need a mobile phone fast, buy a iPhone 4, if not, wait for iPhone 5...

4. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

If it's just the screen you can get a new one installed by most cell phone repair places for under $100. Much less if you're willing to do it yourself. I would do that just to hold me over until the next iPhone comes out if that is what you really want.

5. Polekat macrumors regular

Polekat

I've been treading water with an old BB Pearl for a month now. Hopefully only another month to go

6. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

Grab a friend's phone or just pick up a GoPhone and pop in your SIM. It might be a hard month or two though...

7. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This. ^

Do exactly as he says. :)

8. myfirst512 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone... I never even considered the "gophone" path!

Anyway... In a last ditch attempt to get the ol' 3G working, I took it part and disconnected/reconnected the ribbon connections 1 through 4. After the first attempt & restore... I got the "White Screen of Death" (but hey... at least it was something visible).

- Tear down again -

After the second attempt & restore... it's now working again.

Come on baby... just a few more weeks...

9. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

As an iPhone 3G owner, i understand your loss.

The best thing to do is to get a $0 smartphone. I believe the next iPhone will come out in the beginning of September.
    Or.. if you have a 30-day window.. then you can keep the iPhone 4 for 29 days, and on the last day return it. And use some $0 phone to tie you over until he iPhone 5 is released.

We just have a couple months bud, keeping hanging on.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If it finally dies, then I would also recommend this course of action.

11. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow. I'm impressed. Go iPhone 3G!!! :D

12. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

Don't pat 650 bucks for a 14-month old phone. That's all I have to say.

13. myfirst512 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know... right?!?...

People can complain all they want about problems with Apple or their IPhone's and, while sympathetic... I have no complaints! I've had 3+ years of good service with this one (aside from a couple instances of temporary "dead screen") & I haven't exactly treated it kindly.

It's kissed the concrete of my garage floor more times than I care to admit :eek:

In August/September I'll line up and get a new one without hesitation.

14. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

Search on criaglist for a cheap iPhone 3G or 3GS that will hold you for the next month or 2

when the iPhone 5 comes out, resell it back on craigslist

15. Savor Suspended

Savor

I'm rooting for your phone to make it which seems to be hanging on its last thread.

If worse comes to worst, I agree with the previous poster and buy a used iPhone on Craigslist. If you don't mind not having 3G, you can get the first gen which has a more robust quality for $100 or less. Same exact CPU and RAM. Use it as a free loaner. Whatever the case may be, just make sure not to drop it too many times on concrete and then resell it back on CL. You can break even at the very least. iPhones are popular purchases. Any iPhone for $100 on CL and you will get several potential buyers no matter what model it is.

16. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You probably just need a new LCD for your iPhone 3G. I don't think we'll see the next iPhone in 30 days or less, so you're honestly better off repairing your 3G now and waiting till the next release or getting an iPhone 4 and pawning it off on Craigslist and taking a hit of about $250 to get the new iPhone.

Or, you could get a cheap phone for now and wait.

17. myfirst512 thread starter macrumors newbie

Again... a big THANK YOU for all of this great advice!
    Fortunately the ol' 3G is working for now...

One more question though...

Does anyone know whether I would screw-up my original ATT contract (Unlimited Data), if I "unofficially" slipped my SIM into a cheap dumbphone while waiting for an "official" upgrade to the IP5?

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't know, but why risk it?

19. myfirst512 thread starter macrumors newbie

- Update -

Well, 4 days later, the "White Screen of Death" came back... then the display died. No amount of ribbon connection fiddling can bring the old 3G back to life.

I can still do a software restore... there is still a chime on re-start... there are still vibrations. In fact, the phone seems fine except that there's no display.

Giving up, I got a cheap ATT GoPhone using my existing SIM (no it won't alter my contract or unlimited data plan). Now I want to try and fix the 3G... my problem is, I'm not sure what parts to order.

Looking on E-Bay, it looks like I can get...

- LCD Display
    - Touch Screen Digitizer
    (or both)

I'm thinking, all I need is the LCD Display... but am asking the panel of experts here.

Any ideas?

Also any suggestions on sellers? (there seems to be a bunch)

20. jz7410 macrumors member

bring it to the apple store they may replace it for $79, its worth a shot I've had success

21. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Just try and wait it out. It will be painful, but you can make it! :D

22. myfirst512 thread starter macrumors newbie

"Painful" is an understatement!

This "ATT Gophone" is a nightmare!

I was thinking... if I could replace the display on the 3G for $20... I could go back to ATT and return this POS.