Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supermac96

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
So my friend got an ipod nano for christmas that i guess was found online for 20 buks from japan and when he got it it doesn't show up on the computer and feels strangly light wight like its made of plastic and the funniest part when you turn it on it says hello then it flashes the home screen for maybe 1 forth of a second that it says goodbye with a smiley face and turns off. anyone else gotten this rip?

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
I heard on the news last week that millions of $$ of counterfiet Apple stuff was snagged. Mostly iPhone / iPod clones.

pepi

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
Brings back an old saying my Dad told me many years ago.

"If it's sounds to good to be true ... Probably isn't" :( :apple: :(

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
OP, I had one of my friends buy an iPod like that for me when they went to china, just for fun. I doubt you'll be able to return it. Just take it as a lesson learned.... buy it from a retail outlet you know you can trust, such as an Apple Store.

I believe what you meant is:
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Anyway, the saying "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" can also be said "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't"
When the is is used, it can be taken as the *item* is too good to be true.
The other saying expresses that when the *item* sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't, with the isn't referring to the truth. All depends on how you look at it.
Hope this makes sense.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
If there's a device that sells at retail for over $200 like the iPod Touch and you see one for sale for $20, then it is either obviously not a real iPod Touch or it is a stolen one. I don't have much sympathy for people who expect to get a real anything for 1/10th of the retail price.

supermac96

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
OP, I had one of my friends buy an iPod like that for me when they went to china, just for fun. I doubt you'll be able to return it. Just take it as a lesson learned.... buy it from a retail outlet you know you can trust, such as an Apple Store.

Anyway, the saying "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" can also be said "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't"
The other saying expresses that when the *item* sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't, with the isn't referring to the truth. All depends on how you look at it.
Hope this makes sense.

I agree with all you guys and I wouldn't have bought a 20 $ ipod. It was my friend that got it as a gift from someone who apparently didn't know a lot obout ipods.

nukem170

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2011
LOL. It's only $20. Why on earth do you think anyone would sell something that worth $200 for $20? Be glad that they only lost $20 for a hard lesson learned.

Wondercow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Hope this makes sense.

Not when using standard English rules of grammar and phrasing.

"If it sounds too good to be true it probably ..."

The underlined is an adjectival phrase and operates just like a single-word adjective If it sounds loud, if it sounds high-pitched

The adjective is modifying the subject of the sentence, in this case "it", thus, the second reference is a reference to the subject (... it probably ...). In order to change this the new reference would have to be explicitly stated: If it sounds too good to be true it probably isn't true.

In the sentence "it" is a reference to "a deal" so let's substitute: If a deal sounds too good to be true it probably is; now it's explicit—the "it" refers back to the deal so the deal's quality is implied: If a deal sounds to good to be true it probably is [too good to be true]

Now, please allow me :eek::rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm bored (and a linguist). ;)

Last edited:

pepi

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
Not when using standard English rules of grammar and phrasing.

"If it sounds too good to be true it probably ..."

The underlined is an adjectival phrase and operates just like a single-word adjective If it sounds loud, if it sounds high-pitched

The adjective is modifying the subject of the sentence, in this case "it", thus, the second reference is a reference to the subject (... it probably ...). In order to change this the new reference would have to be explicitly stated: If it sounds too good to be true it probably isn't true.

In the sentence "it" is a reference to "a deal" so let's substitute: If a deal sounds too good to be true it probably is; now it's explicit—the "it" refers back to the deal so the deal's quality is implied: If a deal sounds to good to be true it probably is [too good to be true]

Now, please allow me :eek::rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm bored (and a linguist). ;)

Oh no !!! Not a grammar Nazi ;) Anyway, what you said above still doesn't change what my Dad told me :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.