Rip out RAID0 and Build RAID1?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bzollinger, Sep 24, 2010.

1. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Hello,

I've currently got two 1TB drives in a RAID0. My PS scratch disk is on it along with all my photos, movies, and music.

I did it originally to speed up PS, LR and anything accessing the data. After using the setup for a month or so I'm not sure that I'm getting any benefit from the RAID0 setup. Of course the disk speed test show an increased throughput but I rarely go into paging in PS or anything else for that matter.

Since I don't think I'm getting much if any benefit I'm thinking about moving the data off of the RAID, and recreating it as a RAID1 array for redundancy. I've ALWAYS been nervous about running RAID0, I have good backups, but I just don't want to get burned or have to deal with it if one of my drives fails.

What do you guys think? Stick with the 0 or create the 1??!!:D

2. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

I personally run RAID1 for redundancy. I don't trust any of my photos on a RAID0 without a real-time backup which I don't have. Even the hour between Time Machine backups could be disastrous.

3. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

I would say 1 if you want to be safer ?
    to me a single disc and raid 0 are close enough that if a drive goes down you loose everything ?
    I am not against raid 0 but I also like safety :)
    I say you should always do what you are comfy with :)

4. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Okay, so I moved the data, deleted the RAID0, and created the RAID1 array. However I forgot to write down the RAID0 name! I wanted to name the new RAID1 array the same to try and avoid any problems with LR...

5. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

do you use time machine ? I would think the old disc name would still be their :)

or worst case scenario you could launch LR and see if it shows you the old path ? forgot what it shows when the files were moved ?

or just repoint the images at it

bummer though :) but not to big a deal ?

the other thing if you ever saved a PS action with the save to a certain folder ? or maybe even in LR ? try the latest export ?

not sure the best way but maybe someone has a simple way to find out

6. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Those are good ideas and thanks for the help.

I ended up remembering that I could launch LR with the option button and point it to the catalogs.