RIP Young iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Teh Hoff, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Teh Hoff macrumors newbie

Apr 7, 2008
    So I'm brand new to this fourm because I simply just got my iPhone. It was a present for my birthday. Got it Thursday, used it non-stop, and three days later, on Saturday... its dead.

I went out to celebrate my birthday and got sideswiped on the sidewalk by another bar-goer, and it flew into a wall.... shattered glass, and the 90% of the LCD doesn't function (Touch Feature still works though, but I cant find the right buttons to unlock via password). So anyways, It had an enjoyable 72 hour life.

Apple is charging me $200 to fix the screen. It was purchased from AT&T, and they just kick me over to apple. I'm probably going to end up paying the fee and taking a road-trip to the apple store 2 hours away so I can get it replaced.

Does anyone have any other ideas of ways I might be able to get this covered? I thought AT&T had a no-questions asked 14 day return policy? Thanks for any suggestions!
  2. seattle macrumors 6502

May 15, 2007
    Was the iPhone purchased with a credit card? If so you might have some more options and should call them.
  3. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

Mar 11, 2006
    AT&T most definitely does not offer a "throw your iPhone against a wall and we'll give you a new one for free" policy.
  4. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

Mar 11, 2006
    That is a good idea. My AMEX and MasterCard offer 90 days accidental damage or loss protection.
  5. ViPa macrumors 6502a

Dec 4, 2007
    yeah att will not return the phone..unless you magically convince them not to open the box and look at the phone.
  6. philgilder macrumors 68000

Sep 30, 2007
    thats totally OUTRAGOUES, we should sue :p

you can post your phone to apple you know...
  7. Teh Hoff thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 7, 2008
    Hahah I demand a Drunken-BarToss protection plan!!! Im going to have to check with the card company, as it was paid for with a Visa check card. I do have the option to wait for the repair box, but I'm just too damn impatient as I am officially addicted to the phone... I can't stand typing on my razr now.

I need to check on my homeowners insurance too... I have USAA... Mabey they can do those coverage extensions people talk about on here... Anyone have any luck with that company?
  8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

Jun 9, 2007
  9. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

Jun 25, 2007
  10. iToaster macrumors 68000

May 3, 2007
    In front of my MacBook Pro
    I think because iPhone v2 is due out any time now, I'd say wait for it.
  11. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

Sep 18, 2006
    Don't be so harsh, just get a good thick case for it lol.
  12. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

Feb 8, 2008
    London, UK
    dang thats unlucky... same happened with my Olympus digital camera.... lasted a week or so then the LCD screen just cracked when i dropped it. The built in viewfinder still works just fine, so it isnt totally dead, just not fully alive lol. To replace the screen olympus is costing me £105 :( - about $210 i guess...
  13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2008
    What's sad is someone actually had to post this. :)
  14. benmrii macrumors 65816

Nov 14, 2007
    This isn't exactly the best course of action. I understand where you're coming from (why buy another iPhone now with new and improved ones likely imminent?), but this isn't him spending $400-500 on a new iPhone but $200 on a replacement due to accidental damage.
  15. Teh Hoff thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 7, 2008
    Yeah I'm just gonna eat the cost of the repair. I actually started an iPhone repair fund with all the people that took me out for my birthday, so mabey that might help some! :p. The card that was used to buy the phone didn't have purchase protection. I thought about picking up a squaretrade plan then filing a claim right afterwards, but ill be legit :rolleyes:.
    I considered the iPhone v2, but where I live we don't get 3g, and I have wifi access everywhere that I typically need high speeds. I also personally feel that there will be a handsome price point to differentiate the standard iPhone with the 3g version, and both will exist in the market for some time. (IMO)

I have a jam jacket case, and I'm thinking about also getting a ToughSkin. Or mabey rhino lining the damn thing.

...or just switch the sim card into my Razr when I don't trust myself..... ;) Thanks for the tips!