iPad mini riPad Mini crashing Safari

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Davidsr20, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Davidsr20 macrumors member

Have to say this is getting very bad on my new mini,if I'm browsing forums with YouTube clips inserted it crashes every time for some reason!
    Iv cleared all history and data and closed all background pages and it's still at it :mad:
    Any fix for this please?

2. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

The only fix will be returning what you have now and wait for a model with more than 1 gig of RAM.

Your exact problem is what I tell the "my air never blows up in safari" folks to do to see safari blow up.

What I have done is changed my browsing habits to slow the page to load for several seconds, before attempting to scroll. Sad that my iPad2, running iOS 6 was able to handle scrolling of these types of pages wih out an issue. But the air blows up consistently doing this.

Ain't progress, and apple engineering, grand?

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I love all the naysayers that keep saying its a RAM issue when there is zero proof to that statement. Most likely it's a poorly written Safari issue. I use plenty of apps that should be RAM hogs like PS Touch and it never crashes. The only app that ever crashes on my mini or Air is Safari.

Reports from beta testers suggest both the home screen crash and Safari crash issues are fixed in the latest 7.1 beta.

4. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

say thanks to iOS 7

5. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Most reports say that 7.1 fixes the crashing issue which is definitely a bug. But it doesn't fix the tab reloading issue which is related to lack of memory.

6. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

This happens to me on occassion with my rMini as well. I chalk it up to iOS 7. It mainly happen randomly, but it's at least once a week when it does happen. I'm holding out hope that either iOS 7.1 or a sooner software update fixes this.

7. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

It's not the lack of RAM, it's the iOS version. iOS 7.1 solves most issues, I can verify that since I am running it now for weeks. It works really great and I believe you will see it very soon.

8. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

That is what I've gotten out of the reports as well.

That and I love the people who refuse to acknowledge that tabs reload because of a lack of available RAM, and that the Air's and rMini's have less effective RAM than the iPad3 and 4, since the transition to 64 bit. But NO WAY, that could be the issue :rolleyes:

9. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Looks like we're going to hear more complaining even after 7.1 comes out then!

10. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

And the same folks will excuse away the horrible decision by apple to NOT increase the RAM, thus harming the customer experience.

11. leebroath macrumors 6502

leebroath

I have just been in Currys (Electrical Store in Uk)

I had a mess about with their Retina Mini and I just couldn't get the pages to reload no matter how much I left it before I typed into another tab

Could this be because the device is on a store demo mode?

12. leebroath macrumors 6502

leebroath

Well

Since my last post I have decided to give my other half my 64GB and I went and purchased a 128GB Retina Mini for myself

One of the main reasons is because I like reading and when my other half received her kindle I wanted to kill 2 birds with one stone :)

So it's now just finishing syncing buy I have had a play about with the one thing that utterly annoyed me, the safari tabs do not seem to reload

I shall give it further testing but at the moment it's looking promising (touch wood) :p

13. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Safari reloading will eventually happen. It even happens with iOS 7.1 beta 4, so don't get your hopes up. It is normal, and in 7.1 it has improved a lot, but it is still there. If it bothers you that much and want to use an Apple device, get a Macbook.

14. leebroath macrumors 6502

leebroath

Ach will see what the final build of 7.1 is like

I can't use a Mac to read a book on the train etc, it's light but not very practical

Plus it costs way more :)

15. cynics macrumors G3

What you say is true it's not necessarily a problem.

My iPad 3 reloads on about the same amount of tabs.

Adding more ram would certainly fix that however only the current boundary. Add another gb of RAM and you'll get threads of people complaining they can only have 10 tabs open before they reload.

The topic of this thread is about safari crashing. And that is related to software. Not saying more ram may or may not fix this but devices with less RAM can do what the OP is doing without as much of a problem.

I can make both my 4S and iPad 3 crash safari however no where near as easily as the iPad Air I returned. So obviously ram isn't the underlying issue.

I would like more btw.