Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
This could stop the move forward on HTML5 !!!

Meh, I doubt it, the push for native support is going to be too big and the companies with sites utilizing flash may lose advertising dollars to people who gateway through this site. I think this is a good thing however, I just don't expect it to really slow the transition to HTML5. This will more likely be a placeholder until site have HTML5 support.

hchavarria

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
This is great news. On the windows mobile devices there is a browser that works this way. The flash content is played on the server.

bluehaze013

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
If this actually happens it will go a long way toward making me want to keep my iPad instead of trading it in for Googles Android tablet that is on the horizon! This is great news as long as Jobs doesn't do something to squash it.

markosb

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
This would work just fine. I don't think Mr. Jobs has the power to block a website from doing this.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
So how would this work? Im going to guess that you go to their website, input the flash culprit of a site url, then it spits out a html5 webpage on the same page?

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
I'm still on edge regarding the change in Terms and using Unity... Lets see how El Jobso and Company react to all of this madness...

Nash Bridges

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
San Francisco
I'm still on edge regarding the change in Terms and using Unity... Lets see how El Jobso and Company react to all of this madness...

Supposedly this solution will work with current websites without the need of publishers doing any redesigning.

If that is true then Jobs can't stop it.

Remember the Slate will work fine with Flash.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Flash still missing ---

1fbpgj

Attachments

• 86206627-239c278c9f075a4c8282dc5037a4766d.4bc56055-scaled.jpg
    86206627-239c278c9f075a4c8282dc5037a4766d.4bc56055-scaled.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 118

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Everyone should stop for a moment and actually read the press release before getting too excited.

This won't bring Flash to the iPad. It won't let you punch the monkey to win $10,000, refinance your teeth, or whiten you mortgage with full sound.

This technology lets a website builder deploy iPad and iPhone compatibility without changing much of the backend technology their website uses for video streaming.

This will be expensive and will require a lot of hardware. :)

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
So basically it is an alternative to the CS5 packaged flash to HTML5 compiler?

No, supposedly it allows flash video streams to be presented to the iPad via transcoding without major code alterations to a website. Think about all this happening inside Mobile Safari.

Nash Bridges

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
San Francisco
Meh, I doubt it, the push for native support is going to be too big and the companies with sites utilizing flash may lose advertising dollars to people who gateway through this site. I think this is a good thing however, I just don't expect it to really slow the transition to HTML5. This will more likely be a placeholder until site have HTML5 support.

HTML5 simply addresses the flash issue by using a thin client on the iPad that opens a windows to a server hosting the flash files that actually plays them itself. In other words it is like opening up a remote session on the flash hosting server where the server is processing the flash file for playback.

The difference is that the RipCode solution will work with today's websites as they are, while for HTML5 web designers will have to recode their sites.

Everyone should stop for a moment and actually read the press release before getting too excited.

This won't bring Flash to the iPad. It won't let you punch the monkey to win $10,000, refinance your teeth, or whiten you mortgage with full sound.

This technology lets a website builder deploy iPad and iPhone compatibility without changing much of the backend technology their website uses for video streaming.

This will be expensive and will require a lot of hardware. :)

HTML5 requires a server to host and playback flash files as well. Your point?

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
RipCode To Allow the iPad To Display Flash Content

RipCode has developed a new product, called TransAct Transcoder V6, which will allow the iPad to browse Flash sites. Transcoder V6 works by having RipCode's servers convert Flash content on the fly to iPad-compatible assets. This technology will be demonstrated this week in Las Vegas.

http://www.ripcode.com/news/newsRelease.php?id=42

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.