Rip'd DVD with Handbrake... iMovie 11 not liking it?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 2807, Jan 9, 2011.

1. 2807 macrumors member

Hi All,

I am a long time fan of this site, but a first time poster.

I just updated to the newest iMovie and am new to iMovie too. I used Handbrake and ripped/imported a 30 min home-video on dvd (old tape footage transferred to dvd as a gift).

It works, I can play it in iTunes, and everything there is ok. BUT, when I imported into iMovie "events" and work with it in iMovie it is very very slow (iMovie). I have been to Apple (one-to-one) and spent an hour on the phone with Apple Care....

The bottom line is (after a few tests) my iMovie works very well.. It appears to be the video/import.

So.... they recommend using something other than Handbrake to see if the rip'd footage will be more manageable for iMovie.

What do you guys recommend?

I have a 21.5" iMac, 3.06, 8 gig ram. Its only a few months out of the box. Very fast and nice machine.... it has to be the video!!!

I am dragging simple little clips into the notebook theme. It is as basic as possible.... but I get the beachball and problems as I drag clips, and imovie takes a long time to open as it tries to render my project (beachball, and "not responding" in activity monitor)

Sorry for the long post. Thank you.

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I would still rip the DVD with handbrake, but make sure you use the mp4 container. If there is an iMovie preset that would be even better, but if not, you can then transcode to .dv or .mp4 that iMovie might like better with MPEGStreamClip.

It's free and is great at conversion. Just use the defaults the first time and see how it looks, then you can get into changing things and tweaking them if you want after that.

Hope it helps,

Brian