RipDVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pknz, Aug 2, 2007.

1. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Whilst looking through my applications folder I found an application called RipDVD which I haven't seen before, not too sure how it got on my Mac could have been a family member but I really doubt that.

Not too much info on it in its About window, and its icon is pretty crap, so I'm a little suspicious of it.

Anyone know who made it or where it could have come from?

Attached Files:

2. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

Strange. Tried a google search and nothing really came up except Mac The Ripper. I'm clueless as well.

3. jochne macrumors newbie

strange appearance of dvdrip?!?

Did you guys install virtual dj, because i did and later noticed Dvdrip suddenly appear too.
    I also remember seeing a similar logo (to the crap one on the screen) on their website.

4. pknz thread starter macrumors 68020

pknz

Yes I did infact, how odd. Thanks for the info.

5. monomental macrumors newbie

it would make sense for Virtual DJ to include a basic DVD ripping program considering companies such as Promo Only sell DVDs with music videos
    the big selling point of Virtual DJ is that it can also play mpeg2 videos so DJs can now scratch video

6. Jnsvda macrumors newbie

RipDVD

Is this safe?
    anyone tried it yet?
    I had the same with VDJ, so i assume it's safe?
    Can anyone confirm that?

7. zzjimmai59 macrumors newbie

I had the same issue too

I found this application too. I long ago installed Virtual DJ too, but I haven't noticed the application RipDVD appearing in my app folder because I mostly use spotlight to launch apps. Once cleaning files on my mac, I came to noticed it. I didn't know with what software it was related to till I came through this post. I actually made a research when I needed to actually rip a DVD and I was figuring that I would use this app, but no luck! it can't read the files on DVD (except its title and not for all DVDs...) but I can't use this app. So my guess was that it could be malicious first, however now that I know it probably come with VDJ, I think it is more promotional as someone said.
    Anyway I still need a good simple mac way free app to rip DVD!

8. nigameash macrumors 6502

I've noticed this too, and yes it does come with vdj.

9. gotenks05 macrumors member

I don't download things much, but as for DVD ripping Apps on Mac, I like vobcopy, but it is only a commandline tool. Just look around for other threads.

10. MuzikListner macrumors newbie

MuzikListner

11. Snookerman macrumors 6502

I noticed the same thing on my mac. Has anyone removed it? Would Virtual DJ still work fine if I did, or is it required? If it's just an app on the side, I want to remove it. Besides, I think it's a bit strange that it was installed without asking for permission or even informing about it.