Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
I'm interested in getting Ripit to compress my DVDs for iTunes and Apple TV, but I've been trying to find out if the app is able to compress the file with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. I already googled this countless times but I can't seem to find any user feedback on this issue.

Anyone on this forum using Ripit and could please tell me if you're able to get 5.1 DD? Much appreciated if anyone can tell me their experience!

Last edited:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
Really? No one out there that has Ripit has tried to compress a movie with Dolby Digital 5.1?

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
Really? No one out there that has Ripit has tried to compress a movie with Dolby Digital 5.1?

I haven't personally tried it, but I was going to, until I saw that the compression feature via RipIt uses a handbrake CLI. Judging from that, it will have the same limitations that Handbrake does. It might mixdown the 5.1 into 2.0, but if it uses the AC3 option, it should preserve it. From what I could tell from the RipIt preferences, you're limited to presets, so there's not too much customization to be had.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
I haven't personally tried it, but I was going to, until I saw that the compression feature via RipIt uses a handbrake CLI. Judging from that, it will have the same limitations that Handbrake does. It might mixdown the 5.1 into 2.0, but if it uses the AC3 option, it should preserve it. From what I could tell from the RipIt preferences, you're limited to presets, so there's not too much customization to be had.

Hey, thanks for the reply. :) Yea, I also found this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1031505/

But it's not much of a thread, as no one really replied there either, but the OP there says that a Handbrake add-on downloads to ripit, so did that download to your program as well? And when you say limitations, I thought Handbrake was able to encode DD 5.1? Or do I have that info wrong?

Well if you ever get a chance to test it out, please do share :)

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
Hey, thanks for the reply. :) Yea, I also found this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1031505/

But it's not much of a thread, as no one really replied there either, but the OP there says that a Handbrake add-on downloads to ripit, so did that download to your program as well? And when you say limitations, I thought Handbrake was able to encode DD 5.1? Or do I have that info wrong?

Well if you ever get a chance to test it out, please do share :)

Yes, when I tried out the compression feature, it told me that it needed to download the Handbrake CLI to work.

Well, with certain containers, handbrake mixes the audio down to two tracks. If ripit uses those containers, it will also mix the audio down to two tracks. However, Handbrake can also use a passthru audio format, which will preserve the 5.1 DD; therefore, ripit can, too. However, like I said, it really depends on what commands are in the built-in presets for RipIt. The presets are named kind of vaguely (beyond giving you an idea for device compatibility), so it's difficult to tell what kind of audio formats the compression presets use without actually trying them out.

I could probably go ahead and give the program a try either tonight or tomorrow and come back to tell you how it went, assuming that someone else doesn't come in to say whether or not it preserves the 5.1 DD effect.

EDIT: if that thread you posted is accurate (I'd hope so, but you never know), then the answer is a yes, the compression feature will preserve the 5.1 DD audio. However, with the steps involved (opening handbrake and all), it doesn't seem worth it (to me, at least) to bother with the compression feature when you can just open the DVD with handbrake and use your own settings, being sure to select the AC3 passthru option in your audio section.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
EDIT: if that thread you posted is accurate (I'd hope so, but you never know), then the answer is a yes, the compression feature will preserve the 5.1 DD audio. However, with the steps involved (opening handbrake and all), it doesn't seem worth it (to me, at least) to bother with the compression feature when you can just open the DVD with handbrake and use your own settings, being sure to select the AC3 passthru option in your audio section.

Sorry, I'm so very noobish with Handbrake, but that can also just compress a DVD into an iTunes playable file with AC3? I have no need to rip the movie by the way.

My interest about Ripit just piqued recently as I was searching, because of some positive user feedback here on these forums. But I guess if I'm not looking at ripping, then Handbrake should just do me just fine and I could save the $25? I just need to play around with HB now.

Edit: Yea, I thought i needed a ripping program like Mac the Ripper to rip the files first before HB could encode them, thats why I looked into Ripit.

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
Sorry, I'm so very noobish with Handbrake, but that can also just compress a DVD into an iTunes playable file with AC3? I have no need to rip the movie by the way.

My interest about Ripit just piqued recently as I was searching, because of some positive user feedback here on these forums. But I guess if I'm not looking at ripping, then Handbrake should just do me just fine and I could save the $25? I just need to play around with HB now.

Edit: Yea, I thought i needed a ripping program like Mac the Ripper to rip the files first before HB could encode them, thats why I looked into Ripit.

Yep, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head there. The ATV2 preset that's built into handbrake is a very good preset to start out with, as it'll play on all current Apple devices, the PS3, and top-set boxes such as the Boxee Box or Roku. If you want to save some space, you can omit the non-passthru audio track, although that doesn't take up much space anyway and will improve compatibility among devices.

If you ever have any questions, you can refer to the Handbrake User's Guide, or just ask/search the forum here, since there are plenty of users that have explored handbrake and should be able to give you some pointers.

Edit: A Ripping program does help if you want to encode a lot of DVDs overnight (or when you can't be there to swap the discs), but otherwise you don't need it really (unless you're trying to rip Thor or Rango, as both movies have encryption that handbrake can't handle, nor Ripit for that matter).

Icaras

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
Thanks again very much for all that help. You just saved me $25 (based on my specific needs of course. I'm sure RipIt is a fine program for what it is). I'll play with Hand Brake tonight then.

Much appreciated :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.