RipIt's Compression Profiles for iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by knemonic, Feb 18, 2011.

1. knemonic macrumors 6502a

Hey all,

I am having a tough time finding descriptions of the profiles for RipIt's compression options.

I am converting my DVDs for iTunes and there are two options in the preferences, high quality m4v and Apple TV.

RipIt uses the Handbrake CLI but I can't find anywhere that states what the RF is for those two profiles. I am attempting to get the best possible m4v of my DVDs and RipIt could totally automate this process, but not if the copies are just ok.

Also, I was hoping to find if the RipIt Apple TV profile is the same as the Apple TV 2 profile found in Handbrake, which uses PFR to limit the frame rate at 29.97 or below.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think RipIt's developers are pretty responsive
    Have you tried contacting them directly?

3. knemonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not yet, I will drop them an email here is a sec.

4. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

Yes, in my experience, the Little App Factory team usually respond to questions/suggestions within 24 hours.

Please report back with their response, as I'd be interested in the answer.

5. knemonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here is the reply from them, it took them awhile to get back to me, but they apologized so its cool.

Sorry this took so long to get back to you! Here is what our developer said:
    Everything uses a preset except for the Android and PSP which has a custom configuration.
    TARGET / Preset / Container

High Quality MP4: Universal, MP4
    High Quality M4V: Universal, M4V
    Apple TV: AppleTV. M4V
    Apple TV 2: AppleTV 2. M4V
    iPhone 4: iPhone 4, M4V
    iPhone / Touch: iPhone & iPod Touch, M4V
    iPad: iPad, M4V
    XBox360: Universal, MP4
    PS3: Universal, MP4
    Android Phone: custom, MP4
    PSP: custom, MP4

The exact parameters used for Android and PSP:
    -B 128 -R 48 -E AAC -e FFmpeg -f MP4 -m -b 1024

What's interesting is I did tests with both Handrbrakes Apple TV 2 profile and RipIt's Apple TV M4V profile and got different total bit rates in Quicktime.

I ended up modifying my workflow though. I use RipIT to rip the dvds and handbrake to convert. The reason is I can rip movies way faster than I can convert them. Then I just create a huge list of movies to convert.

The key is while I am asleep, movies convert, where I cant swap DVDs to be ripped. So even in downtime, my computer is doing something. If I were to use ripit for ripping and converting, while I sleep, I would be loosing valuable time, since I wont wake up every couple hours to swap dvds.

RipIt is good for one time DVD workflows, but Handbrake/Ripit is best for large batches.