Ripped apart my Apple Wired Keyboard with Number Pad

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by poiihy, Jan 28, 2015.

1. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I had this Apple Wired Keyboard with Number Pad which came brand new with the iMac (used from ebay). After a year or two or whatever, after moving, the keyboard started failing, and this was the first apple keyboard to fail. Soon more and more keys failed and it went all wonky and berserk. Replaced it with the Apple Pro Keyboard from the rarely used G4 (in a different place). That keyboard recently just failed too, but it has been working for a long time. I replaced that keyboard with a Logitech k120 (it was only $7.87!).

So anyway I've had this keyboard sitting (in the other place with the G4) for more than a year and finally I got interested in it because I recently just took apart the Pro keyboard. This keyboard was ruined and impossible to fix, so I just ripped it apart to get some parts out of it. I was most interested in the logic board to make into another USB hub.
    I pried around trying to just get the logic board out without ripping the rest out but found that I couldn't, so I just shoved the screwdriver around and repeatedly pried it up on the side. Then i got enough peeled off to grab it and peel off the whole keyboard off the plastic base with my hands.

There were a lot of keys and stuff falling off. Later I pulled off all the keys and scissor support thingies. I collected half a cup of that stuff :D

Then I was interested in the caps lock LED, so I peeled the sheets off until I found it and I cut it off with plenty of wire for it.
    I powered this LED with a used 9v battery which outputs about 3 volts. The LED lights up all wonky. First time it started green then turned amber. Second time it stayed green. Then A few more times later (after I lost it and found it again) it lit up and turned red and got hot and made smoke. Sometimes it appears green and sometimes it turns red. I don't know what's up with that. I'll take a picture of that later.

The led is in the multiple sheets of the keyboard wiring matrix pressed together. If I peel the sheets apart, will it ruin the led? Also, is the LED diode toxic? I've heard the LED diode inside is extremely toxic.

Attached Files:

2. poiihy thread starter macrumors 68020

poiihy

More pics

Attached Files:

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

LEDs have effectively no internal resistance and are polarity sensitive(they are diodes, after all).

Normally, when in use they are connected with a resistor inline to limit the current. Depending on the specs of the LED, sometimes the internal resistance of a battery is sufficient to limit the current to reasonable levels, but not always.

If you just want to play with LEDs, you're probably better off getting some standard 5mm ones...Radio Shack used to sell an assorted pack out of the parts cabinet in various colors. Pick up some resistors(I'd suggest an assorted pack like this http://www.radioshack.com/50-piece-...and&start=15&sz=12&prefv1=RadioShack&tab=tab2 ) while you're at it so you can experiment with how this affects it. Read the specs on the LEDs and use Ohm's law to make sure you don't exceed the rated current.

4. poiihy thread starter macrumors 68020

poiihy

RadioShack LEDs are expensive. Much cheaper to buy bulk form ebay. For $1-2 you can get 100 LEDs. I don't know about the quality though, but they are usually the same LEDs most manufacturers use for their products.

5. poiihy thread starter macrumors 68020

poiihy

Also, are any of these framework parts worth keeping, like the plastic bottom or metal top? I'm thinking I should cut the protruding box, for the logic board, out and use it to enclose and support the logic board.