Ripped charger, Please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nikki33, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Nikki33 macrumors newbie

So the plastic/rubber started to rip exposing the wires, so I patched it up with tape. 3 days ago I plugged up the charger and noticed it wouldn't charge, I smelled something burn next thing I know its coming from where the tear was, I unplugged it. I pick it up and the damn wire rips off! :mad: I paid extra for the 3 year warranty, will apple replace it or will I have to buy a new one?

Attached Files:

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The did for me when it started to fray, not sure how they'll respond to a DIY repair though. Worth a try regardless.

3. dma550 macrumors 6502

eek, I normally don't mess with stuff that will burn down my house. Time to hit ebay for a new one!

4. Nikki33 thread starter macrumors newbie

So the chance of me getting a replacement is good? I have 0 money available to buy a new one, I need my laptop for school!!:eek:

5. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

yea run it into the Apple store they should swap it out just be nice and humble

6. BeeJee macrumors 6502

Depends on the Genius you get at the Apple store, I know for a fact that technically that the damage showed would not be covered under warranty as it LOOKS like it was user damaged and not a manufacturing defect since the was ripped in half. However if you haven't used your warranty fir anything yet tell them your situation and they may make an exception and be nice. BTW heres a link. http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-M...360980883&sr=8-1&keywords=macbook+pro+charger

Read the above. He/she may get lucky but the so called Genius's have screwed me before lol

7. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Giddy Up to the Apple Store..

If the the fault is the component, I am sure they will replace it..

If you cut it on something/ your dog chewed it, then good luck.. but they might be nice, if you are.. :apple:

8. jiannichan macrumors newbie

Have you bought that before? The price is good but I don't know how long I would expect it to work. I would assume it isn't OEM you can get a bad/crap one that stops charging within a couple months or an off chance that it fries your laptop. I need an extra one to carry in my bag and another to leave at work so I can leave the original at home.