Ripped DVD vs. Standard Itunes download comparison

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by dmm219, Dec 11, 2008.

1. dmm219 macrumors 6502

Was wondering if anyone could provide their opinion on the comparisons between handbrake ripped dvd, played back on atv and standard definition downloaded movies from itunes.

So far, I've been VERY impressed with the picture quality of my ripped DVDs on ATV. And I've downloaded a few HD rentals and TV shows (the universe) and they look stunning. How does standard def movie downloads look compared to these two? I am somewhat reluctant to download standard movies because I am afraid they will look terrible (SD TV does not look very good).

In my case, we really want to see Wall E, but its only for purchase in SD. If it looks like crap, I'd rather just buy the DVD, and rip it to the ATV which I know will look really good.

Any thoughts?

Anybody else think apple should just ditch SD all together? just off HD content?

2. wrkngclasshero macrumors regular

wrkngclasshero

I've seen a few SD movies off of iTunes. I personally prefer my ripped stuff (if for no other reason than 5.1).

Remember that what you buy off iTunes has to play on Apple TV as well as all generations of ipods, that limits what they can provide quality wise.

As far as HD only, there are a lot of ipod owners that would be Salty McNaulty if that were to happen.